Tuesday, October 06, 2009

CD10

Hey, remember how I was gloating about how smoothly this cycle was going? Yeah, not so much. This morning, I had a single, gorgeous, juicy, 20 mm follicle--on the left side! Where there is no tube! Sound familiar?

I had a long talk with the nurse about the usefulness of continuing with IUI, considering that there is a chance, but a very small one (in the nurse's words: "Stranger things have happened"), of the right tube picking up the egg. My thinking was that since we've jettisoned cycles in the past when I had an egg on the wrong side, maybe we should just do timed intercourse instead, rather than go to the trouble of IUI. She said it was totally up to us, but that IUI always maximizes the chances versus just intercourse.

Anyway, I was on edge all day waiting for the call with my bloodwork results and instructions--normally they call by 1 p.m. or so, but today I didn't get the call until 4:30. Trigger tonight, call tomorrow to schedule IUI for Thursday.

My husband and I talked about it, and what with the tiny likelihood of success and the logistical nightmare that trying to make the IUI happen Thursday morning with our current lack of childcare (our usual babysitter just went back to school, and all our friends who normally can pitch in are either out of town or would be dealing with their own weekday morning messes) and my crazy schedule that day, we decided to do it on our own. I'm still going to do the Ovidrel shot tonight, just for ease of timing, but then we'll just have sex tonight and tomorrow (and probably Thursday, if we can manage). I'll call the clinic tomorrow to tell them.

I'm going to consider this cycle a wash, and start thinking ahead to next cycle. I think we'll try at least one more injectible IUI, and then re-evaluate at the end of the year.

I feel like I should write something about how I feel but...I'm not really feeling anything. I think my new blase attitude is helping me to not take my ovaries' performance personally. It is what it is, you know?

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Well isn't that something. Good luck with all the sex!

10:36 PM  
Blogger May said...

Well crap. Stupid ovaries. If they would just LISTEN!!!

12:01 AM  
Blogger caramama said...

I actually know someone IRL who got pregnant when one tube picked up an egg from the opposite side, so it can happen.

Here's hoping the sex works, and is also great!

12:20 PM  
Blogger Molly said...

Ovaries are just SO inconvenient, aren't they?

1:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home