Friday, April 28, 2006

Repeat performance

At this morning's wanding, we saw one beautiful, fat, perfect, 18 mm follicle...on the left side. Where I have no tube or uterine horn. Again. The largest follicle on the right side was only 10 mm.

Obviously there is no point in continuing with this cycle. The doctor (not mine, though I loved this guy--short and jolly, like a little fat elf in scrubs) said I should probably ovulate on my own within the next 48 hours. I'm to call Dr. SF early next week to discuss next steps. I suspect he will want to do a Follistim-only cycle to jack up both ovaries enough to hopefully get one follicle on the right. Fine by me as long as we take the necessary precautions against multiples.

I feel strangely neutral about this, my fourth cancellation in a row. Actually, to be honest, there's a tiny tinge of relief in there. My husband is going out of town on Sunday for about a week, so there was potential there for some complications re: timing of the IUI. He could have made a quick trip home for a day to provide a sample, but it would have been a major pain in the ass.

I did have a nice flaky chocolate croissant and a big latte to soothe myself afterward. I would have had a big drink except, well, first of all, 8:30 a.m.; also the damn metformin has really messed with my alcohol-consuming prowess. Anything more than a single glass of wine and I feel sick to my stomach. I may just have to push it tonight, though. I think I deserve a cocktail.

**UPDATE**
I totally heart Dr. SF. He called me at 11 am to discuss this morning's scan. Of course, I was on the other line and missed his call, and when I called back he was with a patient, and I'm still waiting for him to call me back again...but just the fact that he called, and so quickly, puts him head and shoulders above any doctor I've ever dealt with. Will update again as soon as I talk to him.

3 Comments:

Blogger Thalia said...

How incredibly frustrating. Is it really right to keep on with the IUIs rather than going to IVF and getting over the tubal problem? Or have I missed something?

4:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Electriclady, you are handling this incredibly well. I'm so sorry this keeps happening.

5:05 AM  
Blogger MoMo said...

I am so sorry that you have to go thru this again. This is very frustrating and unfair! Hang in there. Thinking of you!

10:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home