Friday, April 07, 2006

Livid

We had an appointment for a follow-up consultation with Dr. S. today. (To Clomid or not to Clomid, ditto injectibles, etc.) When I made the appointment, I spent a lot of time debating with the receptionist as to when would be the time of day least likely to involve a long wait. (I have had to wait as long as TWO HOURS--for a regularly scheduled appointment, not the morning monitoring free-for-all.) We settled on noon.

I'm having a very frantic week at work, and a very frantic day--not so frantic that I can't take 5 minutes to blog, of course, but there are lots of things happening for which I need to be here, physically at my desk to sign off on things etc., and I couldn't afford to be gone for two hours. So when 12:30, then 12:45 rolled around and we were still waiting, I was worried. I said to the receptionist, "Can you tell me how much longer it's going to be? I'm having a really busy day and I need to get back to the office." She said she'd check.

12:55. My husband said, "This is bullshit." We stood up, and I made eye contact with the receptionist. She said, "Oh, it's going to be another half an hour." I told her we were leaving and that I'd call to reschedule. We stalked out.

I am furious. And the worst part is, I'm not even surprised. I don't think I have EVER waited less than an hour for an appointment there, and usually it's closer to two. If the constant delays are because he's taking so much time with each patient, then they should schedule his appointments accordingly. But frankly, taken together with the debacle of last Thanksgiving, the chronic lateness, to me, is just indicative of the disregard my doctor has for patients as human beings with feelings and jobs and lives.

I've been unhappy at this clinic for so long, but this is the last straw. I am never going back there. (And I am putting it in writing, here, so if I get wishy-washy in a week or two you guys can kick my ass and remind me how much I hate him.)

But I'd better like Clinic C (consult on Monday), because it's looking more and more like that's where I'll end up.

3 Comments:

Blogger MoMo said...

hi...i've been a lurker in your blog..I just want to say I am sorry for the experience in the clinic. That really sucks and frustrating. It's hard enough to try and scheadule appointments with our jobs and to have to deal with the clinics own issues just compands it. I hope your monday consultation will be a better experience.

10:35 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

I'd be livid, too, if my doctor made me wait an hour and STILL wasn't ready to see me! No matter how self-important the medical profession may feel, in the end, doctors are essentially highly educated service providers. And, as a service provider, the number one rule should be that they treat their patients with respect. Good for you for moving onto another clinic. I really hope this doctor is much more punctual and a lot less self-involved.

7:57 PM  
Blogger Me said...

Holy hell, that sort of lateness is crap. Imagine what they'd do if you were late paying their bills or whathaveyou, bet they wouldn't be too tolerant!

6:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home