Wednesday, September 09, 2009

OMG

Spoke to the IVF coordinator yesterday. We went over the protocol and scheduling, and Holy. Shit. This IVF business is uh, really really complicated. (Quick recap: 2 weeks of BCP, one week of BCP plus Lupron, one week (or until period arrives) of Lupron only, 10-12 days of stims, trigger, retrieval, transfer, 2 weeks of PIO, then beta, then???) Don't even get me started on how horrified I was when I realized that I would be doing a full SIX WEEKS of injections, or that my doctor prefers to keep patients on PIO (not progesterone inserts) until a positive beta, at which point one MIGHT be allowed to switch to inserts if bloodwork is OK. I really, really need to talk to Dr SF about this, because while I get that PIO allows much more dosage control, I seriously don't know if we (my needle-phobic husband and my needle-phobic self) can survive doing two weeks of IM shots.

So. I started BCP, and next Thursday we're taking the IVF class (where we will learn how to do the IM shots THAT WE ARE NOT GOING TO DO SO HELP ME) and having infectious disease testing, cultures (me), semen analysis (husband, obviously), genetic testing, and possibly root canal and IRS audit as well.

Meanwhile, husband is starting to wonder why we can't just try another IUI or two instead. I told him that lord knows I don't WANT to do IVF, but rather than muck around with cycle after cycle where we have at best a 20 percent chance of success (and probably a lot less, given the variables in our situation), while I inch further and further into "advanced maternal age," I'd rather just go for something where the odds are a lot better and we and the doctors have a lot more control over the situation.

Although, it just occurred to me: What will we do if this doesn't work, and we've exhausted our IVF coverage? can't think about that now...

Aaaand meanwhile, I had just about given up on Dream Job (it's been more than two weeks since my last contact with them, which in my world usually means nothing good), but they called me today and want me to come in tomorrow for a final interview. They told me to be prepared to be there for as long as two hours. Eek!

Labels:

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't do BCP so it was a lot simpler. Stims were injected, as was trigger (done subq), but I had Synarel nasal spray instead of Lupron, and Crinone instead of PIO. Maybe see if you can use Synarel to cut down the injections?

7:18 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Well that's certainly a lot going on. Good luck.

8:21 AM  
Blogger caramama said...

Yikes! That does sound complicated! I always knew that IVF was more complicated that medicated IUIs, but I had not heard the precise breakdown. And I didn't have to do the progesterone shots. That sounds really rough!

Good luck for the IVF and to the job. My guess is that the two hours is so that you can be interviewed by different people. At least, that's what we do at my job. Someone comes in for 2 hours and is interviewed by different people for a half hour at a time. It usually means that you are one of 2 or 3 other people and are they want to determine if you are the best fit. In other words, it's a good sign! But you probably knew all that...

11:02 AM  
Blogger Fisher Family said...

I used Endometrin (Progesterone insert with applicator) and it worked great. For the life of me I can't understand why some MDs require PIO. Talk about torture.

The once daily Lupron shots aren't too bad, tiny needle.

I did so many IUI cycles I lost track. It only took one try at IVF. It was SO worth it!

12:50 PM  
Blogger statia said...

I did a PIO in an ethyl oleate version that wasn't as thick, therefore not requiring as large of a needle. It had to be compounded, but it lessened the blow a little. It really wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, since it's injected into fatty butt tissue (never get to use that in passing conversation again), but a quick cold pack on the area beforehand helped too.

I had to do it forever too, I think. Until like, 11 weeks or something (they wouldn't let me switch to suppositories)? God, it was so long ago, that I don't even remember. I've had to black it out of my mind.

3:55 PM  
Blogger MoMo said...

Yeah, the PIO shot was forever. I think I was on it until the 6th or 7th week with B. The first few times was bad, but once you guys get the hang of it, it is not so bad.

Good luck with the job interview tomorrow.

9:37 PM  
Blogger Thalia said...

I don't know why docs are so stuck on the long protocol...except that you are a potential over-responder, right? So then it's important to control over stimulation.
But still, it does sound pretty complicated.

4:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home