Wednesday, September 02, 2009

In which I try to ignore the state of my uterus

So last night I watched the latest episode of 18 Kids and Counting, the show featuring everyone's favorite fertile family, the Duggars. (As you know, Michelle Duggar just announced that she's pregnant again, but I am not touching that topic.)

I am not ashamed to admit that the Duggars have really grown on me. I mean, of course certain aspects are still horrifying (I remember in particular the episode where the oldest son and his wife discovered they were expecting, and they totally staged the "Honey, it's positive!" moment for the cameras--but that's reality TV for you) and I find some of their moral/religious beliefs deeply troubling, as I'm sure they would find mine. I don't like that the girls are being raised to basically only be mothers and helpmeets--of course being a stay-at-home mother is an incredibly important job, blah blah blah all-our-choices-are-valid-cakes, but it's a problem when someone is never given a choice in the first place. But I do admire the closeness and calm of the family and how they are clearly raising happy, well-adjusted, loving, responsible children.

But that's not what I want to talk about. Last night was The Duggars Go to Washington. They traipsed all over our nation's capitol, checking out the sites and volunteering at a soup kitchen. And Michelle (whose youngest is 8 months old) could be seen dragging a My Brest Friend pillow EVERYWHERE. So my question is, after nursing 18 children, does she REALLY need that thing anymore? Especially for a baby older than 6 months? Isn't it a little impractical to carry it with you all over the place?

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger shanna said...

Probably just another "staged for the cameras" thing, to emphasize that she is nursing.

2:14 PM  
Anonymous Amy said...

They do a great job keeping up with 18 kids.

5:45 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

If it were me, I'd just be wearing the baby in a sling and nurse in there--but after nursing 18 kids, you'd think her boobs could pretty much reach halfway across the room.

Watching them is one of my guiltier pleasures. I also find them disturbing in many ways: raising the daughters in such a way, having the older kids take on so much of the responsibility for the little kids, etc. And don't get me started on her ability to get pregnant with #19 WHILE NURSING #18. But I'm always impressed with how they manage.

9:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sponsorship from My Brest Friend perhaps?

I have a Zoo Pillow and still use it with TTG who is 13 months. I don't take it out of the house though, and when we are out and about I usually feed him in a sling.

4:46 AM  
Blogger Rose said...

I ditto the sponsorship from my breast friend!!

11:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And don't get me started on her ability to get pregnant with #19 WHILE NURSING #18

the grass is always greener . . .

10:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home