Monday, January 09, 2012

Boring

Today was my first-trimester screening. My husband came along, both for support and because he hasn't had a chance to be at any of the ultrasounds I've had so far. The NT scan was uneventful, though I will seriously never get over the sight of that baby bobbing and bouncing on the screen, its little heart pumping away. NT measurement was 0.96 mm, which Dr. Google assures me is excellent for 11w2d. We won't get the full screening results for a week or so, after they get the blood test results back, but I feel pretty good after that ultrasound.

By the way, the blood test? It was a finger prick, and I can confidently say that it was the single most painful bloodletting I've ever experienced. And that's as someone who has had approximately 84,792 vials of blood taken in the last year alone. My fingertip is still throbbing. And they don't just prick the finger (with what feels like a blunt letter opener), they PUMP it five separate times to get five little blotches of blood! Couldn't I just roll up my sleeve instead?

*****

We told Bat Girl about the baby at Christmas. It took her a little while to absorb the news, but she's super excited now. She loves reading the "I'm Going to Be a Big Sister" book we got her, and she's been telling everyone about the new baby, including her whole class, the office staff at her school, and the lady who assessed her for next year's kindergarten gifted & talented program this weekend.

This is going to sound really crass, but my husband and I had really been hoping for another girl. BG, too, wanted a baby sister. But a week or two ago, I started getting a really strong feeling that this baby might be a boy--and feeling that that would be OK. I happened to ask BG last week if she thought the baby was a boy or a girl, and she said immediately, "I think it's a boy." And today after the ultrasound, my husband turned to me and said, "That's a boy. I know it."

We've got another 7 weeks until the big anatomy scan when we (hopefully) find out for sure. BTW, when I was pregnant with BG, I had a very strong feeling very early on that she was a girl. I don't claim to be particularly intuitive, but I was very, very sure, so this should be interesting.

*****

I'm also pretty sure this is a super boring blog post. But I'm enjoying being very boring in this pregnancy so far, especially given that by this point in my pregnancy with Bat Girl, I'd already had half a dozen bleeding episodes, including a bright red scary one resulting in an emergency trip to L&D. Today, I even got to keep my pants on for the ENTIRE APPOINTMENT. I KNOW!!!! I haven't had a doctor's appointment where I got to keep my pants on for over a year!

Right now my biggest worries are trying to find enough food that doesn't nauseate me and trying to find clothing that fits yet doesn't make me look hugely pregnant. I'm waiting until 14 weeks to tell at work, which is when we'll have just passed a major round of deadlines. And that waiting, too, feels like a luxury (though I'm totally eager to spill), since last time around I ended up telling my boss at 11 weeks because I had to go on bedrest for a week.

If I end up being one of those tedious bloggers who logs in once every 4 or 5 weeks to share some dull minutiae of my totally normal pregnancy and has nothing important or meaningful to say about fear, letting go of infertility, or coming to grips with anxiety...well, I'll consider that a blessing.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger MsPrufrock said...

This is nowhere near boring for those of us who have been along for the ride these many years. I could read a thousand posts about happy, "boring" things!

10:58 PM  
Anonymous Jody said...

Yeah, I agree with MsPrufrock, this doesn't seem boring to me AT ALL. It's sort of giddy-making, in fact.

8:17 AM  
Anonymous Jillian said...

Yup, bore us all you like.

If this is a boy, I can tell you this... It's a million times more wonderful than I anticipated.

10:47 AM  
Blogger OneTiredEma said...

Oh, I remember keeping my underpants on...what a marvel after the RE!

12:50 PM  
Blogger Ali said...

For the record, a boy is AWESOME.

10:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home