Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Pukey

But not for the right reason. I got some kind of stomach bug and spent the entire night last night violently ill. The phlebotomist this morning, when I explained why I was a little dehydrated and hard to stick, said slyly, "Are you sure it's a stomach bug?" And I had to say yes, yes I'm quite positive, trust me you do not want the details.

I was so sick that I had to call and ask if I could come have my bloodwork done later in the day, because I could not face the physically impossible task of dragging myself to the clinic during regular monitoring hours. I was so sick that when I got home from the clinic (after having spent $60 on cabs to get myself there and back) I crawled into bed and started shaking and couldn't stop, until my husband forced some Gatorade into me. I was so sick that we pushed our departure for the holiday to tomorrow morning instead of tonight, because I knew I couldn't handle three hours in the car today.

But the good news is that today's beta HCG was 669. I didn't even need a beta doubling calculator to know that was a good number (but FYI, it's a doubling time of 40 hours). Progesterone was "over 40," the nurse said. (I was lying in bed half-dazed in a tangle of sweaty sheets so I didn't inquire further. I actually checked my phone log later to make sure I hadn't hallucinated the call.) Bloodwork and FIRST! ULTRASOUND! on Monday morning.

Oh, and PS, as if the projectile vomiting wasn't enough, on my way out to the clinic this morning I slipped and fell down the stairs. Yes. Pregnant woman. Fell downstairs. It was, alas, not a graceful Scarlett O'Hara tumble, but an ungainly slip, landing with a thud on my ass/back/elbow. I felt foolish asking the nurse about it but to her credit she didn't even crack a smile, just reassured me that short of blunt force trauma to the abdomen a little fall wasn't going to dislodge anything.

OK, I have to go pass out now. I just didn't want to disappear for the holiday without updating. Will be out of town for the rest of the week but will definitely update on Monday after the u/s. Happy Thanksgiving, y'all.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Jody said...

Happy Thanksgiving. I am so happy for you. Absent the violent stomach bug, of course.

8:04 AM  
Blogger Thalia said...

well that's a darn good number. I am sorry you are ill, but I am happy you are pregnant!

3:36 PM  
Blogger Me said...

Oh wow, congrats!

6:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home