Monday, December 12, 2011

Nearly there

"So this is the point where we start kicking you out," Dr. SF told me this morning. If he thought I'd be sad, he must have been disappointed.

The blobby thing that Dr. SF keeps calling my "baby" keeps looking bigger on u/s, and today he turned on the sound so we could hear the heartbeat--176 bpm. HCG was 67,699 (was somewhere around 30,000 last week, but as I said the numbers are essentially meaningless to me at this point). Since my progesterone levels are looking good, I'm being tapered off the PIO--1/2 cc for the next week, and then if all looks good next Monday (at which point I'll be 8w2d, counting from retrieval day), I'm done with injections and they're cutting me loose.

Annoyingly, I have about 2 cc left in the vial now, which means I have to refill my prescription one last time, paying $60 for 2 more vials, of which I will use less than half of one vial. I suppose I'll donate the last vial to my clinic, along with my leftover Menopur and Ganirelix and two pens of Gonal-F and did I mention that I'm looking forward to NEVER, EVER, EVER doing any form of fertility treatment ever again?

I have my first appointment with my new high-risk OB on the 28th. When I called to make the appointment, the appointment lady told me, "Doctor X is only taking new patients if they're currently pregnant or trying to conceive." And I was like, "I'm, um, I'm pregnant!" Smooth. My limited interactions with the office so far have been good--she had to call me back to confirm the appointment date because she needed to make sure she could book an ultrasound at the same time, and when she did she told me that the doctor had already looked at the limited information I had given when I first called and had a bunch more questions. Then they sent me a detailed medical history form for me to fill out and send back, along with any records I have from my first pregnancy. Imagine that--a doctor who wants to be up to speed on your history BEFORE you walk in the door, so they can actually have an informed discussion with you about your medical needs!

Anyway, this particular doctor is part of the maternal-fetal medicine group at one of the top university hospitals in the city (not the same hospital where I delivered before). I had heard that a drawback of a big group practice is that you may end up seeing a different doctor every time, but I'm actually OK with that. I'm OK with being sort of forgettable. In fact, my goal this pregnancy is to be the most boring patient in the entire practice; to be in the office so infrequently that everyone from the receptionist to the nurses to the doctors have to look at my chart to remember my name. (As opposed to last time around, where everyone knew me so well that I actually had a nurse recognize me and say hello on the street three months after I delivered.)

I've been super tired and experiencing a vague low-level queasiness pretty much all the time, but I finally figured out that I need to eat something every two hours or I get a headache and feel nauseated. I can't get my skinny jeans on but I'm nowhere near as bloated or uncomfortable as I was at this stage with Bat Girl, so I count myself lucky. I want to eat protein all. the. time. Meat, mostly, though I went through a brief stage where I wanted eggs everyday and now I can't even look at an egg. And peanut butter toast. Mmm, peanut butter...

The fatigue, though...I don't know how anyone does this with a toddler, because all I want to do is lie down in a dark room by myself. Bat Girl keeps wanting me to pick her up but I just have to tell her she's such a big girl, Mommy isn't strong enough to lift her anymore. We haven't told her yet, though I have a feeling she suspects something. I'm going to wrap an "I'm going to be a big sister" book and put it under the Christmas tree for her. I figure by the time she goes back to school and starts blabbing to everyone in sight, I'll be 10 weeks and willing for the outside world to know--though I'm waiting until the end of January to tell at work.

I guess I'm feeling pretty optimistic overall. It's a nice feeling.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Jody said...

yeah, this is just fun to read. Even the low level nausea part. Sorry to be finding delight in that. But .. I'm just really happy for you. Yay!

7:51 PM  
Blogger Antropóloga said...

Yes, I hope it is nice and boring. :)

2:28 AM  
Blogger Thalia said...

so glad things are going well. long may it continue.

7:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home