Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Delightfully normal

Everything went smoothly at the OB this morning, other than the fact that I arrived at 8:30 and didn't leave until 11. (And it wasn't even because I had to wait--I was with either a nurse or a doctor the entire time. It was a very thorough appointment.)

First I had an ultrasound scheduled. The nice thing about seeing a high risk OB is that she sees patients right in the maternal-fetal medicine department at the hospital. It's a little...hospital-ish (not too luxurious), but it means all the high-tech ultrasound equipment is right down the hall. I had a 20-minute u/s session with both abdominal imaging and the most extensive wanding I've ever been at the receiving end of--I swear I felt that thing behind my tonsils. Baby looked great, measured exactly perfect for dates (9w4d), and I even got a little choked up when the tech zoomed in on my little sea monkey/hamster/squirmy thingy and I could clearly see the heartbeat flickering away.

Then I met with the doctor, whom I totally LOVED. She had reviewed my history thoroughly but had a few more questions. And the great thing is that, while she said my previous OB was obviously playing it safe, in retrospect I was probably not in imminent danger of preterm delivery and that if the same circumstances happen this time she would NOT put me on bedrest. Yahoo!

I had about seventy bazillion tubes of blood taken (the nurse said, "Have you had blood drawn recently? This vein is really beat up"), then physical exam, then more office chat with the doctor, where she went over the prenatal testing options, talked about the usual pregnancy stuff (don't eat xyz, get more calcium, yadda yadda), and answered my random questions. She asked whether I wanted to try for a VBAC and said that if baby was breech again obviously it wasn't on the table, but otherwise it was totally up to me. (I don't really care, honestly.) If I do have a scheduled cesarean, she doesn't want to do it before 39 weeks, which is exactly what I would prefer too. (Bat Girl was delivered at 38 weeks, and I'd like to go longer this time.)

All in all, a really good appointment. NT screen scheduled in 2 weeks. I'll have my first cervical measurement at 18 weeks, unless there's a reason to have it sooner.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Antropóloga said...

Great!

What is the "cervial measurement" business?

3:09 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

Yay!! Glad to hear everything is good and normal!!

10:02 AM  
Anonymous Jody said...

That is fantastic. Oh, I am so excited for you guys! Here's for a long, closed cervix right to the end, and everything perfect on every scan.

10:57 AM  
Anonymous Jacquie | After Words said...

Woot! Good stuff!

3:19 PM  
Blogger Ali said...

Holy shit - you're pregnant! Man, where have I been?! FANTASTIC, FANTASTIC, FANTASTIC!

9:03 PM  
Blogger MsPrufrock said...

I am so all over the place with, well, everything. I can't recall if I have already commented post-positive pregnancy test to say how very happy I am for you. I know I said something to you on FB chat a few weeks ago, but that's the extent of my recollection. Oh, to have my brain back.

Anyway, what better blog title to see than "delightfully normal". YAY!

11:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home