Thursday, November 05, 2009

The long slog continues

After two more days of more juice (112.5 IU), I now have 2 leading follicles on the right (14-15 mm range) and two on the left (about the same, but we care less about those). Dr. SF was debating this morning whether to continue to push or to drop down the dose; in his words, "Stimulating ovaries like yours is like walking a gangplank." Based on my E2 results (I forgot to ask the nurse for the number when she called), he decided to keep the dose at 112.5 for tonight but wants to see me back for monitoring again tomorrow, to make sure we're not overdoing it. Right now we're probably looking at Saturday night trigger, Monday morning IUI, if all continues well.

I'm nervous about all those follicles but am willing to wait and see. The ones on the left (no tube) wouldn't concern me if it weren't for the fact that there are also two on the right. I'm hoping one of the follicles on the right takes the lead--two equal follicles on my good side feels a little risky from an avoiding-multiples standpoint, even though it's close to what I had when I got pregnant last time.

Most of all, I am SO OVER this cycle and ready to be done. Over the last week or so, the shots have gotten more and more painful and difficult to do--I've had more bleeding and bruising, it's harder to push the needle in, and it just plain HURTS more, even though I faithfully ice my belly before every shot. I don't know if there's a psychological component to it, or if after 40-odd injections over the last 3 months, my belly skin and fat is starting to put up some resistance. Have any of you experienced this?

So assuming a Monday IUI, the 2ww will be over just as we're leaving to visit my parents for a week for Thanksgiving. I was worried about the logistics of starting another cycle, but I explained to Dr. SF that we would be out of town, but I wanted to squeeze in another cycle before the end of the year when I lose my IF insurance coverage, and he said it was no problem, that I could start stimming at any point after I get my period, whether day 3 or day 10 or whatever. "That's the one good thing about not ovulating on your own," he said.

Assuming this doesn't work, that is. Which I really really hope it does, not least because I'm not sure how much more I can take.

Oh, one good thing I forgot to mention--at Sunday morning monitoring I ran into an old coworker of mine, to whom I'd recommended my clinic earlier this year but hadn't heard from since. She was getting ready to start her second round of IVF. Since we are definitely not going to do IVF, I was able to give her my unused Lupron, Medrol, and antibiotics, and was so happy to see them going to someone I knew. Unfortunately, I didn't realize until I looked that the PIO I have is only good until the end of the month, so she couldn't use it, but I donated it to my clinic, to go to another patient in need.

Um, I don't have a good ending for this, so I'll just sign off. But I'm sure you'll hear from me again very soon.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger caramama said...

Not only did the shots get more painful for me, but my poor arms were a mess from all the bloodwork (especially when monitoring the levels after my miscarriage). I used to have really great veins for having blood drawn really easily. Now? They still go into hiding when a needle comes near them.

Good luck on this cycle. I keep thinking good thoughts for you!

4:26 PM  
Blogger Jody said...

Yeah, it got more painful for me, too. And it took a LONG time for the veins in my arms to recover, as well. The left arm still seems sort of blown to me.

Here's hoping for a nice leading follicle when they check next.

8:55 PM  
Blogger Rose said...

Good luck!

So I just found out that i had been misdiagnosed with non classic adrenal hyperplasia. Don't have it. Do have PCOS. thoght of your blog. good times.

9:57 PM  
Blogger Me said...

I ended up with scarring from the blood tests. No probs with the subq inj though.

5:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home