Thursday, October 29, 2009

Ho hum

After 14+ years in the post-collegiate working world, I've finally figured out my natural work rhythms:

9-10 am Diddle around on the Internet, no matter what time I sit down to work.
10 am-1 pm Massive burst of productivity.
1 pm-5 pm Lunch, followed by massive collapse in productivity.
5 pm-10 pm Second burst of productivity.

Unfortunately, this schedule is not really compatible with regular office life. Even now that I work from home at least half the time, I can't really take advantage of that evening productivity burst thanks to the whole need to feed/bathe/sedate the child. You know the only time it worked well? When I was pregnant, on bedrest, working from home, with my husband working nights. Can't go out at night, can only watch so much TV, why not work until 11 pm and sleep all afternoon?

All that is to say that I decided not to feel guilty about blogging in the middle of the day, even though I'm in an office, because it's certainly no worse than any of the other time-wasters I'd be occupying myself with right now, like reading Gossip Girl recaps or hanging out on Facebook.

Today is CD9. I haven't written about the progress of this cycle because there hasn't been much to say. I've been on 75 IU Gonal-F since Friday, and went in for monitoring Monday and yesterday. As of yesterday morning, there was still nothing over 10 mm on either ovary, though what little action there was appeared to be on the left ovary (fuck). Dr. SF wasn't concerned about the lack of follicle growth, though, because my E2 has been rising appropriately, so he says he's going by that rather than the ultrasound for now. I'm going back in tomorrow and I expect (I hope) we'll see something then.

My mom is visiting this weekend, and it's unfortunate that no matter what, it looks like this cycle's IUI won't be happening while she's here (and therefore available for free babysitting). Ah well. Bat Girl is excited for her Halmoni's (grandma in Korean) visit, though mostly because my mom promised to bring her a toy farm with animals. She's an acquisitive one, that daughter of mine. Did I ever mention my theory that children under 3 are basically sociopaths? Little to no empathy, total selfishness, poor impulse control, disregard for the destruction they wreak.

Speaking of my little sociopath, her latest catchphrases are "Because it's true" and "No worries." "Because it's true" is her answer to almost any question--it's how she tries to shut us down:
"Why did you hit the cat with the stick?" "Because it's true!"
"Why do you want candy?" "Because it's true!"

I have no idea where she picked up "No worries." In action, it looks like this: The other night, we were at a friend's house, and BG started pulling out some toys in their 9-year-old's bedroom. I said, "I don't think [daughter's name] wants you to play with those, honey." She said, with perfect talking-down-the-crazy-person intonation, "No worries, mom," complete with talk-to-the-hand gesture. Hilarious.

Lest I overemphasize her sociopathic tendencies, I should tell you that she also says "please" and "thank you," (mostly) without prompting; hugs strangers; loves to play princess (no idea how--I never believed people who claimed that princessmania was just in the air and little girls absorbed it naturally, but it seems to be true). She is 99% potty trained at home--wears underpants, goes to the potty all by herself (all we do is wipe her and pull up her pants)--but has never once used the bathroom away from home and so is still in pull-ups outside the house. I finally figured out that the issue is her independence--she is SO all about doing it by herself at home that she doesn't want to tell us when she has to go, which is of course the only way you can possibly make it to a public toilet in time. She's clearly physically capable of real bladder control--she can go 4-5 hours without peeing if she's really into playing--so I think it's just a matter of waiting for her to decide she's ready to wear underpants all the time. Daycare (starting next week, we hope) will probably help too.

Wow, that was totally boring except for the 5 percent of you currently potty training a toddler. Sorry.

That's all that's happening with me. What's new with you?

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger May said...

You and my husband seem to have identical work rhythms. Drives me crazy. Why can't he get his work done during the day when the kids are in day care?!? Argh!

I am dreading potty training my son. Daughter, no problem. Son... hmm. Standing up? Sitting down? And that whole pointing/directionality issue. I think I'll just leave him in diapers until college.

And I seem to be experiencing the afternoon productivity crash myself. Hm. Off to grade genetics homework assignments. Good luck tomorrow!

6:21 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Haha. Mine is always stalling us, saying "almost" and "I'm JUST TRYING..." and I realized I say that a lot too. "I'm ALMOST done working." "I'm JUST TRYING to finish up cleaning the kitchen."

I hate potty stuff. Blech. Mine pees anywhere in any potty but the pooping is useless right now.

7:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We're in big boy underwear hoping not to hose everything in sight, but so far so good.

Blogging at a new home.

AKA T.ea.m W.in.ks

9:09 AM  
Blogger Two Shorten the Road said...

My productivity levels pretty much follow yours exactly. And I'm having the same issues with the collision between my most-productive worktime and evening baby responsibilities. I've been reeeeeally trying to focus more during the day, but no matter how much coffee I consume, I can't quite make it happen. :)

9:41 PM  
Blogger MoMo said...

Yeah, my work rhytm is the same(at least when I was working...
Yes, totally agree about the sociopath! B will do something and when we say that was not nice, or he can't do that--his favorite response is "what happened?" Oh and playdates at home are painful! Mine is the favorite word and if someone plays with his toys he cries for it!!

9:39 AM  
Blogger caramama said...

I have similar work patterns. I especially seem to get productive at about 4 or 5 or 6--in other words, right before I'm leaving work to go home. Sigh...

They totally are little sociopaths, aren't they? That's quite amusing!

4:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home