Thursday, October 22, 2009

Awake

I should really be sleeping right now. We have a preschool tour in the morning (gulp) and I should be getting some rest and I'm exhausted from getting up before dawn for u/s and bloodwork. But lately I've been having a lot of trouble falling asleep--last night I went to bed at 11:30 and lay in bed awake for an hour and a half. And trust me, for the last 2.5 years I have had NO trouble falling asleep whatsoever, so this is really unusual for me.

Oh yeah, about that u/s and bloodwork--I got my period yesterday. I guess I wasn't really surprised, since the chances of me getting pregnant this cycle were pretty small. But I won't lie, I was still having these fantasies that somehow it would work, and wouldn't we all be so surprised! Whee! But no. I guess this explains why I was UNBELIEVABLY CRANKY on Monday.

I went in for monitoring today, CD2, because I didn't think I'd be able to make it all the way down to the clinic and back before the aforementioned preschool tour tomorrow. So I'm back on 75 IU Gonal-F starting tomorrow, in for bloods and u/s Monday. Dr. SF specifically wanted me to start stimming tomorrow instead of today, so that my first check-in would be on Monday (when he's in the office) instead of Sunday, because he didn't want one of the other docs to drop my dosage without checking with him, since, as he said, "Your ovaries tend to shut down when we drop your dosage." I will say, my clinic is definitely a huge machine (you should see the number of women in the waiting room during monitoring hours), but it's little things like that that always make me feel like I'm well taken care of.

We'll be able to do one more cycle now, and then since we'll be traveling the week of Thanksgiving and the week before, we'll have to take a break. If this one doesn't work, I will probably request an HSG during my off-cycle, just to make sure that my tube is still clear. (I had an HSG in 2005, which is of course how my UU was initially diagnosed, but it's been four years and I assume it's possible things could have gotten gummed up a bit, what with getting pregnant and having a c-section and just generally getting older.) I actually asked the nurse about doing it this cycle (forgot to ask Dr. SF when I saw him) and she said they prefer to do it during an off-cycle anyway.

After Thanksgiving, if I can time it just right with Provera, we might be able to squeeze in one more try before we go away for Christmas. Then we lose our IF coverage and I don't know what we'll do next. I'll have enough time to stock up on meds while I still have the insurance, so a good chunk of the cost of a cycle would be taken care of. But obviously I'd much rather I just got pregnant now. Hear that, universe?

Meanwhile--preschool! Ack! This is one of two schools we're looking at for BG for next year. It'll amount to a little over $10K for full days, 5 days a week ("full day" for 3-year-olds meaning 9 am-3:30 pm). That's pretty affordable for Big City--typical preschool tuition is more like $13-15K for half days. Not sure where we're going to come up with this money, but we'll worry about getting in first. As soon as the preschool applications are done, of course, I have to start the apparently multi-year process of negotiating the city bureaucracy to get her into a decent public kindergarten--which we're going to have to do, because private school tuition past preschool ain't gonna happen. Or we could move to the suburbs...and pay the $14K/year in property taxes instead of private school tuition. Remind me again why I live here?

Hm, I guess it's not so surprising that I can't sleep, after all.

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Rachel said...

Childcare in the Big City is absurd. My poor husband has to tour two daycares next week because they won't accept applications unless you go on a tour. And we couldn't even apply to two in our neighborhood because the fusspot and I will be abroad during their 'interview' time and they can't admit a one-year old without seeing her. I mean, she doesn't talk, she doesn't crawl, she's pretty easy going ... what exactly do they think they're going to find out in an interview?

4:45 AM  
Anonymous After Words said...

The child care/preschool/kindergarten situation was a big part of what drove us out of the city....and the property taxes are a big part of what landed us in Fairfield County. The taxes in Westchester County and much of New Jersey are INSANE for often mediocre schools/amenities. But then we're also really far from the city.....

Good luck with the cycle, the tour, and everything else on your plate.

9:46 AM  
Blogger May said...

Dee starts Kindergarden next year. I can't wait. This year I am paying (1) crazy property taxes, (2) preschool tuition for Dee, and (3) day care fees for Buddy. I think that pretty much takes care of my entire paycheck right there.

This is why we've lived in our house for 4 years and I still keep my socks and underwear in a duffel bag on the floor of the closet since we don't have a dresser.

10:10 AM  
Blogger caramama said...

Sorry about this last cycle. I hope the next one is the one!

I can't believe you have to start thinking about kindergarten already. I hope I don't need to be. I'm just happy we're adjusting to the 2-3 year old room at pre-school.

12:53 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Can you say what is meant by "apply?" Because here that's synonymous with "pay to attend."

3:43 PM  
Blogger Thalia said...

as you know, the preschool situation is a bit mad here, too, but it goes on to the pre-prep as well. We'll see what happens to Pob as she gets older. Part of me feels she's much too young to be attending any kind of formal activity at three, but apparently they love it, so I'll just have to get over teh screaming voice inside my head saying "No no my baby!!"

3:26 AM  
Blogger Me said...

I hope it works and you don't have to worry.

8:44 AM  
Blogger MoMo said...

oh preschool. So out of control!! Then you add the nanny/childcare since they can't stay in school until you get out of work!! No wonder so many women drop off the work force!

1:54 PM  
Blogger Ali said...

Ugh. All of this preschool/Kindergarten b.s. makes me want to eat my own hair.

The child I used to babysit was asked in a nursery school interview what he contributed to his community.

He was 2.

12:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home