Monday, February 09, 2009


My mother-in-law died last week. A little before midnight on Superbowl Sunday, to be exact. The last week or so of her life was pretty horrible, so it was a relief and a blessing in the end. We had the memorial service last week and now we're back home and just trying to process what happened.

January was just the worst month, stressful and painful and awful. My husband was traveling back and forth between home and his parents, I was juggling freelance work (and jumping through all the stupid hoops to collect unemployment) and single parenthood and Bat Girl had one illness after another--stomach bug, cold, sinus infection, etc. Thank god it's over.

I've been interviewing for full-time jobs but haven't heard back either way for anything yet. It's not exactly the best time to be looking for a job--everyone's got hiring freezes, or they think they have a position open and then their funding gets yanked, or the department is eliminated, etc. I've been busy with freelance/consulting work but thanks to slow as molasses accounting departments haven't really been paid for any of it yet. Luckily we have savings and my husband was able to work before Christmas a little (before the worst of the crisis with his mom hit) to help out.

Bat Girl got into preschool. But we probably won't send her this year. We have until this Friday to sign the contract and put down a deposit, and it is just impossible for us to decide by Friday with even 70% accuracy whether, by September, she'll be ready, we'll be ready, we'll have the money, we'll all be living in a Mad Max post-apocalyptic society, or what.

On the bright side, Bat Girl turned two on Thursday. We were still in the city where my husband grew up (memorial service was Wednesday), so she ended up having two cakes with candles--one at our friends' house where we were staying Thursday, and then cupcakes at home this weekend. When asked, she will proudly tell you that she is "Twoyearsold!" I'll write a little update about how she's doing and what she's like soon, I promise.

I'm still checking in on all your blogs (though Pru, if you don't get your feed fixed soon I may have to switch to Google Reader JUST to keep up with you), just not commenting--haven't had the energy. But I am thinking of you all. And thank you for the comments and emails and all the support.


Blogger Eva said...

I'm sorry to hear about all this. I don't think I've ever said "Happy Birthday!" and "my condolences" in the same post.

11:55 AM  
Blogger PiquantMolly said...

I'm proud of you for surviving February - sounds like a giant pile of turds. Hang in there!

11:57 AM  
Blogger Aunt Becky said...

I hate February. I'm so sorry things are so rough right now. I can only hope that they improve soon.

2:40 PM  
Blogger K77 said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your MIL.

1:42 AM  
Blogger fruitbowl said...

Sorry to hear about your MIL. Wanted to say I enjoy reading your blog, from a UU sister! x

7:54 PM  
Blogger MsPrufrock said...

So I read this when you first posted it, yet somehow I'm only commenting now. Remember what I said about being a shitty friend?

January sounds absolutely dreadful, and I'm sorry you've had to endure it. As for BG, happy (very) belated birthday my dear! Two is...interesting, to say the least.

As for my feed, I give up. I have no idea.

5:26 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home