• We are exhausted. Four houses in four days for Thanksgiving (really) and then it took us 7.5 hours to drive what should have taken 3.5 hours, thanks to combination of freezing rain and holiday traffic. BG was a trooper and barely complained even though she peed through her diaper and her clothes (which I didn't discover until we got home, because of the lack of compaining).
• Bat Girl is on a nap strike. Turmoil at home between my getting laid off and my husband going back to work, all four (yes FOUR) canines coming in simultaneously, all the travel, new babysitters, changing daily habits due to changing weather and light, all rolling into one big napless suck. The only way she napped all weekend is that we were in the car every day around naptime and were able to trick her into it.
• My mother-in-law is dying. I didn't know where to put this bullet point to make it not awkward among the rest. She has been very sick for a very long time (metastatic breast cancer) but has always been able to maintain a basic level of activity and enjoyment despite the treatments and side effects. This weekend all she could do was lie down. She has no appetite. She can barely breathe. She hardly was able to interact with BG. My FIL just sits in his room and reads the Bible. My husband and I cooked, cleaned, shopped, did laundry, whatever we could, but I'm just furious that my FIL doesn't do more. My husband doesn't really talk about it but it is freaking him out.
• My husband's grandmother (MIL's mother) is also in bad shape. She had a stroke a couple months ago that left her nearly incapacitated. This weekend was the first we've seen her since. She can sit up but can't really move or speak, though she can smile and recognize you. She had been on the assisted living floor of her nursing home but now is moved upstairs to the full care floor, which is a horrible, depressing place, drooling, neglected old people in wheelchairs and hospital beds scattered around the lobby like ghoulish party favors. I also got to change a revoltingly messy diaper (Bat Girl's, that is) on the floor of the nursing home bathroom and now want to burn the diaper bag and everything in it.
• Stressed out about finding a babysitter to cover two days a week this month while husband and I are both working (he picked up some full-time holiday season work, I've got some contract work two days/week).
• So we're having a bit of a time, over here. More later.