Thursday, October 30, 2008

Frickin' frakkin' preschool

I put my husband in charge of signing us up for a preschool tour at the place where Bat Girl goes to faux preschool, since he's the one who takes her there every week. The wrinkle is that the tours are on Wednesday mornings and for parents only, so we have to find a babysitter, which we are very bad at. So we've been dragging our feet. This morning I reminded him to take care of it, since today is faux preschool day, and he moaned, "Can't we just do it after the holidays?" I had to explain to him that no, we can't do it after the holidays, since preschool tours are NOW and you can't get an application without taking the tour and applications are due in January (at the latest) for next September.

We're actually pretty late on this--luckily the few places we're looking at have pretty relaxed application processes. This morning I went web surfing for other 2-year-old programs and discovered that a lot of places "recommend" that applications be turned in the first week of SEPTEMBER. For NEXT YEAR.

Ugh. I'm seriously considering forgetting the whole thing and just sending her to preschool at 3 instead. If I start now, I might just have my shit together enough to make the application deadlines for fall 2010.

*****

I know "cute things my kid says" posts are only popular with the authors of those posts, so feel free to stop reading now. I just want to write down a few things so I don't forget them.

• This morning, as I do most mornings, I asked BG if she wanted to sit on her potty chair (fully clothed) while I peed. (It goes without saying that she always accompanys me into the bathroom.) Unlike most mornings, she did not run away yelling "Nooo!" and actually plopped down on the potty with enthusiasm. Maybe it helped that she had a book to "read." Anyway, she looked up at me as we sat there together and said brightly, "We're poopin'!"

• Newest phrase: "It's lovely!" Usually applied to my jewelry. I think she learned that word from Little Bear.

• Lately, when I come home from work, I'll hear her squeal, "Oh, hi!" in the next room, before she comes running to give me a bear hug. Another popular phrase of greeting: "Wass goin' on?"

• Last week, she was holding her doll crooning, "Oh, dolly, you're cryin', lemme wipe your eyes." And a few days ago, she was playing with one of her teddy bears and informed me, "Bear's cryin'. Needs a bottle." (Can you tell we've had a lot of tantrums ending in sobbing fits around here lately?)

6 Comments:

Blogger shanna said...

Dude, I registered my kids in March. For next September. And we didn't even get into our program-of-choice.

2:41 PM  
Blogger Aunt Becky said...

Man, I can't imagine such crazy preschool stuff!

2:50 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I just can't believe all the planning for preschool. I am so not up for it.

8:59 PM  
Blogger MsPrufrock said...

I'm so glad the system isn't like that here. P is in nursery and will be until she magically joins the older kids in the attached school.

Also, BG cracks my shit up all the time. Can you imagine what sort of hijinks she and P would get up to?

7:38 PM  
Blogger Rachel Inbar said...

So cute!

For preschool here you have to sign up around Jan-Feb. (With preschool also meaning 3-month-olds, who actually have to register months before they're born in order to get in to the place they want.) I couldn't get around to signing the girls up (they're a year apart and we put both in daycare at 18 months) and my husband asked if I was waiting for a miracle... Turned out that a new place opened, which sounded great (and was) - and had just 2-3 kids for most of the year(!) Abigail was there for a year and then Nomi was there for a year.

3:08 AM  
Blogger caramama said...

Oh, man! I do NOT want to think about preschools and the fact that I still have researched the places or taken the tours. I have no idea what it's like in my area, but I think it's not as bad as what you describe. I hope.

And I LOVE "cute things my kid says" posts! She is adorable!

5:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home