Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Quiet

Haven't had much to blog lately--or rather, have had so much to blog, what with turmoil in the markets, turmoil in my own industry/company, turmoil at home and within, that I can't crack open the can of mess and pour it out. Sometime soon I will get my head a bit more sorted out and get blogging again properly, I promise.

But I had to share this: I just realized this morning that my parents are going to be out of the country on Election Day. They live in a very hotly contested battleground state--Sarah Palin spoke in the next town over from them last week--and so their votes will actually count, unlike mine. I wasn't totally sure if THEY realized they would be missing the election--my dad has been a US citizen for decades and usually manages to vote, but my mom has only been a citizen for about 15 years. Until she became a citizen, she had never voted for anything in her life, having grown up in Korea when it was under Japanese occupation and then a military dictatorship. The very first time she tried to vote, she got lost on the way to the polling place and gave up and went home.

So I looked up absentee ballot requirements for their state online, and emailed them detailed instructions on how to vote absentee. I begged them to take the time to fill out the forms, and sent a link to this video (featuring a Korean mom just like mine talking about why she's voting for Obama) for good measure.

My mom wrote back to me: "Hey, I would not give up my right of voting. We already send in for absentee ballots."

Go Mom!

6 Comments:

Blogger caramama said...

Yeah for your parents! And good for you looking out for them!

4:30 PM  
Blogger TeamWinks said...

I wish my vote counted in my state. Not much worse than being a democrat in the bible belt.

5:06 PM  
Blogger MoMo said...

you go mom and dad!! Can't wait until this eleciton is over!!

11:24 AM  
Blogger gaelen said...

that post made me smile. Go Mom!

12:07 PM  
Blogger Bird's Eye View Photography said...

I love absentee ballots!! i have already voted too!

12:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go Mom indeed! That's so cool. I am very heartened by the fact that so many people are voting this year.

And I so wish it were over already. The suspense is killing me.

2:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home