Thursday, September 11, 2008

Today

While I was in the shower this morning, my husband came into the bathroom and said, "There's nothing on TV."

I knew what he meant. For the last six years, my husband has gotten up on this morning, turned on the TV, and watched a handful of mourners read a list of names near a gaping wound in the earth, his own small act of remembrance. Today, the major news programs, all atwitter with the latest ObamaBidenMcCainPalin whatever, were not covering it.

It feels like any other day. To look at us all, riding the train and walking the streets and going to work, you'd think we didn't remember. But we do. I know I do.

(Mel has organized another act of remembrance over at Bridges.)

2 Comments:

Blogger caramama said...

Oh, we remember. But we are the lucky ones who can keep on living our lives. So that is what we must do. Keep on living. And keep on remembering.

12:53 PM  
Blogger Bird's Eye View Photography said...

I remember too.

2:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home