Monday, August 11, 2008

So tired...

Bat Girl is going through a particularly exploratory phase right now. This weekend, said impulse resulted in multiple "hey, that big white bowl full of water in the bathroom looks like a great place to splash and play!" events in a single day (yes, we should probably get a toilet lock, and no, I don't know why we don't have one). She is also going through a particularly rambunctious phase involving the jettisoning of all food from high chair to floor and refusal to eat anything that was previously acceptable. (I know I'm not supposed to make a big deal over the pickiness, and I wouldn't care so much if she didn't FLING the rejected food to the far reaches of the apartment. I keep finding dessicated peas in odd corners.) I have just instituted a rule of "food that goes on the floor gets taken away," but do you think that will just reinforce the message that throwing is the proper way to get rid of unwanted food?

Bedtime also a big struggle lately--she lies down and is almost asleep and then freaks out for no apparent reason, screaming and flailing (I have a fat lip this morning from being head-butted in the mouth last night--drew blood) and begging to be tucked in but then shrieking like the sheet is made of molten lava, that kind of thing. I think I spoke sharply to her more times this weekend than in her entire life previous. Also, she pooped in the tub. And then put her foot in it.

On the other hand, when things weren't stressful and covered in poop water, we also had a really nice weekend. Took her to the park Saturday to push her little doll stroller around, and she heard the elevated train rattling by in the distance. "Was'at?" she asked. "That's the train," I told her. "See choo-choo train! See choo-choo train!" she said excitedly. At first I told her no, we can't see the train from here, it's too far away. Then I thought, what the hell, we've got an hour or two to kill, why not? So I popped her in the stroller and we walked a ways until we could see the tracks, and then waited for a train to pass by. BG got very excited and yelled "More choo-choo train!" so we waited until another went by. Then I decided we had to go, because there was a creepy homeless woman giving us the eye and also possibly a drug-related transaction happening between two teenagers a few yards away. But it was worth it--BG still hasn't stopped talking about the choo-choo train. (Though yesterday evening she started saying solemnly, "Choo-choo train. Too noisy. Getchoo" which is her way of saying "I'm gonna get you!", which made me wonder if she had decided the train was going to come after her? She says the same thing about the vacuum cleaner.)

She was super snuggly (not normally a big hugger and kisser, but she was yesterday) and very giggly--my husband said at one point, "I'd like to think I was that happy as a child, before I got so cynical." And who needs fancy toys? My husband popped her in an empty diaper box (we buy by the case) and dragged her around in it like a sled--she was happy for over an hour, and then got out and dragged her teddy bears and other toys.

We did have the Olympics on for a lot of the weekend. Evidently her experience in hotel pools in Seattle made an impression, because every time a swimming/water polo/diving event was on, she ran over shouting, "Swimmin!" Clearly we have to find a pool to take this kid to.

Of course, the real reason I'm so tired is that I stayed up late every night this weekend watching Olympics, even though we have DVR. Last night was so worth it, though. My husband went to bed early and I made him get up and watch the men's relay on DVR this morning--and I still jumped up and down and squealed and clapped my hands, and watched every minute of every replay. I could barely drag myself out of bed this morning, but I know I'll stay up again and again and again.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger statia said...

We're going through a picky phase too. It's getting on my nerves. I even broke down and bought the whore Jessica Seinfeld book (I found it on sale for 5 bucks, so I got over myself for that price) in hopes of getting more veggies in. What I found really coincidental (or ironic, take your pick) was that it happened almost immediately after we started his "Autism" protocol. Like he woke up one day and was like "oh, I don't have to chew it just because she puts it in my mouth." *sigh* it was nice while it lasted.

6:38 PM  
Blogger MoMo said...

Oh, can I relate. B is so curious about everything that he wants to touch everything and anything. And yes the food..one day he will eat something like it is the best thing he's ever tasted..the next day nothing!! It is very frustrating!

I love the olympics...Last night was so awesome--like you I keep watching it over and over again.

9:10 PM  
Blogger Antropóloga said...

I don't really know what a toilet lock is, but I bet by the time you get one she'll be done with the toilet thing.

Have fun!

9:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, so familiar! Jasper is adorable and infuriating in equal measure these days. (Still sleeping like a piece of crap, too.)

It's fun, but so crazy-making.

8:00 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

YAWN!! I'm with you on the tired thing!! I've also been up watching the olympics and Zack must be at the same stage BG is because we have just given up and closed the bathroom door!! :-)

10:49 AM  
Blogger Aunt Becky said...

(nods head)

My house is a DISASTER now, since Alex has learned to pull stuff from the cupboards.

It's a land mine of crap in my kitchen.

12:07 PM  
Blogger caramama said...

This whole post sounds like something I could have written. If only we'd done something cool like go see choo choo trains.

I'm also staying up late watching the Olympics. It's also been keeping me away from the blogs.

9:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home