Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Shortest first day ever

Today was Bat Girl's first day in daycare. We've been contemplating this move for a while--my husband has been thinking he should get back to work, and we thought BG would benefit from more social interaction now that she's almost 19 months. We were waitlisted at the "best" daycares in our neighborhood since the spring, and some spots finally opened up starting this week. We toured and interviewed both places, and decided to go with one that is slightly less organized and regimented (which is a negative for me) but where BG would be one of the youngest kids--we wanted her to benefit from hanging around older toddlers and preschoolers.

Morning dropoff was nervewracking for me. It was totally chaotic--out of 10 or 12 kids, there were 3-4 other kids who were new today, and the teacher was frazzled and disorganized. BG, though, took it in stride--they had a toy stroller, which she immediately seized and wheeled all over the place. We gave the teacher a bunch of last-minute notes (none of which I'm sure she remembered, though I just hoped she'd read through the 20-odd pages of intake forms we had to fill out giving minute details about BG's likes, dislikes, and habits) and then said goodbye and headed out. As soon as I passed out of BG's line of sight, I could hear her panicked, "Mommy? Mommy! MOMMY!" and the teachers trying to calm her down.

I was fretting all morning, emailing with another mom I know whose kid was also starting at the same daycare (we spent lots of time together this weekend so the kids would know each other), worrying about whether she'd eat, or sleep, whether they'd remember to put her hat on her when they went outside, whether she'd be sad or upset.

My husband called at 1:30. They'd called to ask him to pick BG up and take her home. She was refusing to nap (even though they'd rocked her with a bottle as per instructions) and was making a lot of noise so the other kids couldn't sleep. When he got there, they were waiting outside with her. Her eyes were all red and puffy from crying.

So, I'm a little annoyed. I realize that it's a small place and there's not much they can do with a kid who's making a commotion during naptime, but isn't that their JOB to figure it out? And yes, we did tell them to call and my husband would be happy to pick her up if needed, but what would they have done if (as will be the case tomorrow) no one was home?

Hmph. We'll see how tomorrow goes. But I'm annoyed.

10 Comments:

Blogger Aunt Becky said...

Oh, I'd be furious, too. That's crap. Good luck to my ickle BG.

2:56 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

I'd be annoyed also. It is their job. She can't possibly be the first child who didn't want to sleep and made noise on her first day in daycare ever. K cried almost nonstop for the first two weeks he was in daycare. They never once called me to come and get him, because they knew that wouldn't help him adjust to it. I hope they figure it out or I'd be concerned about how they deal with the kids other times as well!

3:46 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

I would be annoyed too!! It is TOTALY their job to figure it out. It's her first day of course she's probably upset. I don't know why they couldn't have taken her out of the room or played quietly with her.

Hopefully tomorrow will be better!!

4:12 PM  
Blogger MoMo said...

OMG...that is not right. As Erin said, she can't be the first child who refuses to nap. Plus it is her first day--what were they expecting?? They could have taken her out to play or figure out something-but not call home! Hopefully tomorrow will be better.

4:26 PM  
Blogger BrooklynGirl said...

That's annoying. Dealing with the nap (or non-nap) is their job.

9:14 PM  
Blogger Rachel Inbar said...

The way it works here (in Israel) is that you take you child and stay with her for an hour or two the first day. The second day you pick her up before nap time and the third day they call you if they have trouble putting her to sleep, with the goal being to avoid conflict with the child before she feels safe and settled. I know it's frustrating, but it seems like a really good system and it's been successful with all 5 of the kids I put in daycare. Once she feels safer there she won't have trouble going to sleep. On her first day, it's really a lot to expect from a little girl and I actually think it is better for her that your husband came and picked her up. Just another point of view... I hope things go better tomorrow.

2:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Electriclady, that's just not on! Calling the parents for illness or emergencies is one thing, but normal toddler behavior? Wow. I hope very much that this was just a function of their being overwhelmed today, and that this sort of thing doesn't happen again. Not exactly confidence-inspiring, is it?

3:22 AM  
Blogger MsPrufrock said...

Uh, annoyed? Hell yes! That is ridiculous. This is what daycares are trained to do, right?

I was irritated months ago when P's nursery rang me to ask if I wanted to pick her up as she wasn't acting "like herself". WTF?

I'm totally with you. It is bizarre that they would take that approach.

11:22 AM  
Blogger Jody said...

Yeah, that is bizarre. Sounds like they were overwhelmed with new arrivals, and not thinking straight.

Grrrrr.

11:40 AM  
Blogger Bird's Eye View Photography said...

OH my god annoyed???? I would be pissed off! YES it is Certainly their job to figure it out. However, I would be thankful that they id call and let you know that she was having trouble. Something they don't call at all... and it is better to be in the know.

12:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home