Monday, October 06, 2008

Twenty months

If there's one thing the last month has taught me (well, reminded me), it's that with a baby/toddler/kid, nothing is constant and everything changes eventually.

Just a month ago, I despaired of ever getting Bat Girl to hold her own sippy cup, let alone learn to drink from an open cup. But in the last week or two, she has actually started holding the sippy and drinking from it all her ownself, instead of just pouring the water all over her highchair tray or the floor (we take the valves out of our sippys because they are annoying). And the other day I had her in her high chair with a sippy and a lidless Snack Catcher (yes, we like to remove the part of the feeding accessory that is the whole point of buying the thing in the first place) which had held a few bits of cereal. She proceeded to pour her water into the snack cup and...drink from it! (Now, if I could just get her to drink milk out of anything but a bottle...)

I also was certain that her top front teeth would rot out of her head because she steadfastly refused to ever let me brush the front of those teeth, actually curling her lip over them to prevent me from doing so. Months and months of this, people. But then, all of a sudden, last week she let me brush them. Briefly, but still! So take heart, anyone whose baby is driving you crazy with something--chances are they will change in a month or two anyway.

We are nowhere near starting to potty train, though we have a video and have had a potty since BG was a little over a year old. (She peed in it once, but now every time I say, "Would you like to sit on the potty?" she runs away yelling "NOOOO!" So yeah, not pushing the potty right now.) Instead, we are enjoying all the pee on the floor, without the benefits. She gets a little nakey-butt time after her bath while I'm draining the tub etc., and nearly every day last week, she celebrated by peeing on the floor. Fine when it's on the hardwood, not so fine when on the carpet. I now ask her if she wants to sit on the potty right after her bath, but see above re: running and yelling.

The language continues to explode in a most ridiculous way. And I mean ridiculous, as in friends of ours with kids actually laugh when they hear her talk because it is absurd to hear what comes out of this tiny child's mouth. Sample sentence uttered yesterday on the subway platform: "I hear another choo-choo train comin'!" She can even sometimes have a "conversation" with me on the phone, telling me what she and Daddy are doing and responding to simple questions. Communication does have a downside--used to be, when she woke up in the middle of the night, we'd let her fuss for a few minutes, figuring she was just sleep-crying and would settle down in a bit. Now, though, she'll say "Daddy, bottle!" or "Get up, get up!" Last night, the fussing became impossible to ignore when she started sobbing, "Mommy, Mommy, where are you?"

Apple of my eye, light of my life. But don't even think about asking me if I'm ready for another one.

6 Comments:

Blogger MsPrufrock said...

Oh my god, I can't believe BG is 20months old! Such a clever kid, this one. P also shouts in the middle of the night/early morning hours. We're tired, but we have to laugh. Gems include, "Mum! Mum! Sit on the couch with Mum!", "Mum, I need a hug! Come and have hug with Mum!", "Dad, wake up! Get up Dad!" All of these are said whilst crying, which somehow makes it funnier. I'm so mean.

6:13 PM  
Blogger caramama said...

Wow! What a big girl! Isn't wonderful and sad all at the same time? It's just amazing to me how quickly they change and grow.

And yeah, how do ignore "mommy where are you?" Oh, boy!

11:16 AM  
Blogger Aunt Becky said...

Alex seems to hold his bladder until such time as I let him go for some naked baby time. Then he pees on my white (white!) carpet. It's fun.

12:44 PM  
Blogger sara said...

I never even thought of the little ones peeing mid trip from out of the tub to the toilet or somewhere else. It kind of seems like you could nickname that her surprise attack or something :-) The "mommy where are you?" makes me smile too because it just seems so amazing that they can go so quickly from crying to having these complete sentences.

7:26 PM  
Blogger MoMo said...

Wow...20 months!! Batgirl is so smart...B is just saying words, no sentences yet. You have to give me tips someday about potty training..we are no where near to that point yet!

10:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Electriclady, I can't believe BatGirl says things like "I can hear another choochoo train coming" at her tender age. Wow! And thanks for the reassurance about babies learning things at some point -- I'm alternately amused and horrified at the fact that at 13 months Banana still refuses to hold either sippy cups or bottles. Serve me, woman, she seems to say, as she hands me the receptacle whenever she's thirsty, and then she practically sits on her hands while she drinks. Too funny!

2:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home