Friday, December 05, 2008

Twenty-two months

Scene: The electriclady abode, afternoon. electriclady is checking her email in the bedroom. She hears Bat Girl singing to herself in the living room, and heads out to check on the child.

EL: [Bat Girl], what are you doing?

BG: Just hangin' out.

*****

Scene: Same location, evening. Bat Girl, facing a blank wall, begins hopping about while giggling like mad.

EL: Honey, what are you doing?

BG: I dancin' with my shadow!

*****

5 things the TV has taught my child about:
1. Four-leaf clovers
2. The use of "Your Highness" as a form of address (I know, right? Imagine being called "Your Highness" by your toddler)
3. The existence of shadows (see above) and echoes, and the necessity of yodeling when an echo is encountered (resulting in her shouting "Lodelodelay HOO-HOO!" into building lobbies and playground tunnels)
4. Mermaids, and the benefits of befriending same
5. "It's lovely!" as a form of praise

*****

BG is crazy for the bottle right now. We were hoping that we could start getting her off it soon, but in the last few weeks (probably due to all the changes in routine brought by my losing my job, plus all the traveling, plus did I mention the four canines coming in simultaneously?) she's been begging for the bottle constantly. This plus the nap strike plus lots of night waking is making our lives rather hellish right now. We'd gotten lazy, bringing her into bed with us and keeping a bottle of water on the bedside table which we just stuck in her mouth every time she woke up and cried for it (multiple times a night) so we wouldn't have to get up, but we are now beginning Operation Take Back the Night, which involves doing whatever it takes to get her to fall back asleep without a bottle (lots of music and rocking--it's like having a newborn again, only 25 pounds instead of 6) and, eventually, getting her back in her crib, since my husband claims his internal organs will not survive many more nights of toddler kicks.

*****

She is part baby, part kid. She loves to dance ("Mommy, get up!" she orders if I dare sit down while the music is playing), to help feed the cat and the fish, to "read" books to herself out loud, to snuggle (and demands "Snuggle Mommy!" often). She can climb into her stroller and high chair by herself but still rarely deigns to hold her own bottle. She knows all the verses to "The Wheels on the Bus." She is growing up so fast.

10 Comments:

Blogger May said...

Oh, you're getting close to the End Of The Baby. I remember that stage! Next thing you know she'll be all little girl. Wow.

11:22 AM  
Blogger Antropóloga said...

Awww. Very nice to read the update.

Nora didn't figure out about holding the bottle until she was past one. And she gave up the bottle a few months before she turned two with no complaints. They're all different! She's still a baby. The waking in the night is irritating, though. I now have to sit with Nora will she'll sleep which I did NOT have to do when she was tiny. Sheesh!

1:23 PM  
Blogger Aunt Becky said...

Alex wants to have an illicit love affair with his bottle too. I'm glad I'm not alone in this bottle love.

12:50 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

I dancin' with my shadow!

How cute is that:)

1:49 PM  
Blogger Bird's Eye View Photography said...

oh I love that! DAncing with my shadow... to cute!

2:42 PM  
Blogger Bird's Eye View Photography said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

2:42 PM  
Blogger MoMo said...

I can't believe they are almost 2!! She is just too adorable!!

1:22 PM  
Blogger Thalia said...

Yes I think we will have a bottle forever, too. I say, do what works, it's the only way to survive. She'll give it up herself eventually.

Sorry to hear so many things are difficult right now, I will hope for some breaks for you.

11:52 AM  
Blogger caramama said...

How adorable she is! I love the "Your Highness" and think I'll demand to be called that by my toddler and hubby from now on.

We also have been letting the Pumpkin in bed with us because it's just easier. Except for the constant kicking a flailing and occasionally leaking diapers. Maybe it's not as easy...

3:42 PM  
Blogger sara said...

I can't believe she's 22 months already...what a great update. I hope you are having a great holiday and that things start out great for the New Year as well ((Hugs))

8:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home