Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Leaving on a jet plane

(Wow, could that be a more cliched post title? I'm sure at least 500 other people have titled posts this way. But I'm too lazy to think of something better.)

I'm going on a business trip, returning on Sunday, so I'll be out of bloggy touch for several days. But I'll be sure to report back on Monday with the results of my 6w ultrasound (or, I guess it will be 6w1d? or 6w2d? I am already confused by all the dates). Fingers crossed...

(You can skip the rest of this if you want--boring bloating and other symptom updates, mostly for my own future reference.)

I've been feeling much better over the past week. I think last week Tuesday (day of my second beta) was the low point--most bloated, in pain, short of breath. I even had a little heartburn in there somewhere. Toward the end of the week things started to improve--bloating went down a little, my energy level improved, and by Friday or Saturday I was even able to move more or less normally, with minimal or no pain. (I had been hobbling around, hunched over to spare my strained abdominal muscles, wincing at sudden movements, taking the bus or cabs for distances as short as three blocks, etc.) Of course, this made me worry--since my only physical experience of pregnancy so far had been of severe discomfort, feeling normal, or at least better, made me think there was something wrong. But Monday's ultrasound and bloodwork were fine, so I have to trust that things are more or less OK, even as I continue to feel better and better. I still can't fit into any of my pants (I went to 0ld N@vy on Sunday and bought a bunch of stretchy skirts and blousy tops for concealment purposes), and when I lie on my left side it still feels like all my organs are sliding out of place, but my abs don't hurt anymore, and my belly button is starting to return to its normal pucker from the stretched-out slit it has been for the past couple of weeks.

By the way, I was in a meeting when the nurse called me about Monday's bloodwork, so I couldn't ask her what the exact numbers were. She didn't leave them in the message--just said everything was fine--and, shockingly, I did NOT call back and pester her for the numbers. I'd like to think this is a sign of maturity and chilled-out-ness on my part, but who am I kidding? Of course I'll ask when I get this coming Monday's results.

Other symptoms...no nausea or aversions yet. I have had a constant craving for salty, acidic foods (so yeah...pickles. could I be more cliche?) but am trying not to indulge too much, since the last thing I need right now is more water retention. My boobs still hurt, though less aggressively than before--the discomfort seems to be concentrated in the nipple area.

Oh, here's a weird one--in addition to the sore boobs, I have little sore lumps in my armpits. I know that sounds bad, but I've always gotten these lumps whenever I have sore boobs, like when I have PMS. Years ago I asked my fabulous former gynecologist about them (sadly, she no longer takes insurance, or I would still be seeing her), and after feeling around for a bit, she told me that the lumps were actually rogue breast tissue. Apparently, many of us have a line of breast tissue running from our armpits, down through our actual breasts, down to the groin. That's why some people have extra nipples (and that's why said third nipples are usually located directly below a regular nipple). She explained that I must have a little breast tissue in my armpit, and so it responded to the same hormonal changes that affected my boobs. Usually it only affects the right side, but right now I've got soreness on both sides--which makes sense, I guess, because my boobs have also never been quite this sore before. I suppose if it continues I will need to mention it to a doctor at some point along the way, but I'm trying not to be too hypochondriacal right now.

Enough medical freakiness. Have good weeks and weekends, everyone, and take care of yourselves.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoy your business trip (hopefully, if possible--business trips can go either way, I know). Excellent restraint re: Monday's results, by the way..

2:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have a great trip, and good luck with the upcoming u/s -I hope all goes well!

5:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just wait the bloating will be back in full force so will the tiredness. and the boobs ah soreness comes and goes. As for them changing the dates It always happens each sonogram. At my first couple of sonograms they changed my due date each time. Have fun on your trip.

9:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home