Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Still here

Beta hCG = 261. Not quite as doublicious as I'd hoped (I calculated a doubling time of 56.6 hours), but the nurse said it was fine. My progesterone was >40; at this point, my clinic likes to see anything over 25, so that's good. I will attempt not to obsess over the numbers. (Ha!)

First ultrasound is on Monday, which I think will be 5w2d. MONDAY!!! Thank goodness, because I don't think I could take waiting another two weeks for more information. I'll get a third beta then, too. If all goes well I go in every week for the next few weeks.

"How are you doing?" the nurse asked me during the post-blood-draw consultation I had this morning.

"Okay. A little freaked out," I said.

She laughed a little. "Isn't this what you wanted?"

"Yeah, but now there's a whole new set of things to worry about," I replied. To which she could only agree.

The bloating continues to be a problem. I don't have a scale, so I can't weigh myself, but I've been measuring my girth several times a day, and generally I balloon 1.5-2.5 inches during the course of the day. (The bloat goes back down overnight, only to begin anew the next day.) Overall, I've gained three inches around my waist in the past week. My abdominal muscles are incredibly sore (from, I don't know...all the stretching?), so sudden movements are a bit painful. Dressing is a challenge, not just for comfort reasons, but because I would really prefer not to look gigantically pregnant right now. (Really, at my most bloated I look about as pregnant as my 20-weeks-pregnant coworker.) I spent about an hour on Sunday night trying on everything I own in a desperate attempt to find something that would disguise my belly. It's all about blazers and loose-fitting cardigans, I've discovered. The problem, though, is that things fit in the morning, but are straining at the seams by the end of my workday.

In the last few days, I've also become a little short of breath whenever I exert myself--being on my feet for more than ten minutes, for example, wipes me out, which is a problem considering I walk and take the subway everywhere. The nurse ordered me to keep drinking lots of fluids, and if at any point I stop peeing, or the shortness of breath worsens--basically, if I get any worse than I am today, in any way--I need to call them immediately and come in to have my abdomen tapped, to drain off some of the fluid. "If we're not open, you need to go to the emergency room," she said sternly. Yikes. Of course I don't want to get any more bloated, nor do I want to be sick, or have someone stick a giant needle in my belly...but there is something appealing about the idea of having all the bloat drained right out of me. I asked how long it would take for the bloating to go down, and she said, "Well, you're just waiting for the gonadotropins to clear out of your system, but of course now you're pregnant, and you have those pregnancy hormones, so you'll get pregnancy bloating from that."

Pregnant. I am pregnant. I don't think I'll ever get used to using that word.

My husband has been pretty adorable about this. On Sunday, when I got the call, I couldn't stop smiling when I got off the phone. He was, characteristically, quiet. "Aren't you excited?" I said, poking him in the arm. "I'm cautiously optimistic," he said. But later that afternoon, he roused me off the couch, where I was, uh, resting my eyes, to say, "Come on, let's take a picture."

"Now?" I whined. "I'm wearing my glasses, my hair's a mess, I just woke up, I look terrible."

"Yes, now."

He wanted to take a picture of us on the day we (officially) found out I was pregnant.

I hope, I hope, I hope...well, you know what I hope. It is so, so early, and there are so many things to worry about. I will try to remain calm until Monday.

Thank you so, so much for all the good wishes and congratulations over the last few days. Your support means everything to me.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, I get to be the first one to congratulate you on your second beta :) I was looking forward to your update - I'm so happy for you! You write such a smart blog. It really helps to think of others out there that are going through similar experiences. Yep, I am starting my 2 week wait today... Hope is already breathing down my neck.

1:43 PM  
Blogger Alli and Frankie said...

The bloating does not sound fun at all and I can't believe they would drain you! That's crazy! I hope it doesn't come to that. Modern medicine never ceases to amaze me.

Praying for your Monday ultrasound and beta - and that you can get used to the idea of it all! It's so exciting!!!

2:38 PM  
Blogger Robber Barren said...

Target doubling time is 48 to 72 hours, so you are fine. And you're getting your first ultrasound before I'm getting mine - how'd that happen??

2:56 PM  
Blogger MoMo said...

This is fantastic news! Congratulations again. I am so happy for you!

4:29 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

Congratulations!! I'm hoping all goes well on Monday.

I also have my first ultrasound next week, but I will be 10 weeks, not 5. To say I'm nervous is a HUGE understatment.

Sending wonderful vibes your way!!

5:03 PM  
Blogger Pregnant In Texas said...

OMG! Congratulations. I hope that I one day find a man that is as sweet and considerate as yours - on the day you found out that you were PREGNANT! Congratulations, again.

8:14 PM  
Blogger gaelen said...

Congratulations!!! You must be floating on air right now!

8:57 PM  
Blogger Thalia said...

Congrats on still being pregnant, electriclady, it all sounds good. I'm glad you get to see things as early as 5w2d, although be aware, I don't think you'll see much at that point!

9:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Electriclady, I'm glad that things are looking good, and that your ultrasound appointment is so soon. You're right, the waiting can be mind-altering.

Your husband is a sweetie.

12:12 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Like Robber Barren said, doubling times are supposed to be around 48-72 hours, so you've got a great doubling time. Still, I can definitely understand the need for further reassurance, so I'm very glad to hear that you'll be getting your first pregnancy ultrasound on Monday.

Hope the bloating starts to resolve itself withouth medical intervention (though I must agree with you that there is something very appealing about the immediate satisfaction of needle-induced drainage!).

4:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home