Thursday, June 08, 2006

Huh.

"When are you going to test?" my husband asked me Monday night.

"I told you, I think Saturday morning. They actually said not to test until Sunday, but I think Saturday is waiting long enough."

"I can't believe you haven't tested yet. That's so not like you."

"It's way too early. It's only been eight days since the insemination." [Long explanation of hCG levels in pregnancy, implantation, trigger shot, etc. followed. Around here, my husband focuses on his part of the job and leaves the details to me. At one point, I actually had to email him the url of a video explaining the menstrual cycle.]

"How about Friday, then? or Thursday? Wednesday? You should test now!"

"IT'S TOO EARLY. Besides, I don't even have any pregnancy tests."

"That's really not like you."

"You're actually more eager to find out if this worked than I am, aren't you?"

"...I'm just curious. Aren't you curious?"

"OK, fine. I'll test Thursday. But I'm warning you, it might be too early still." [Long explanation of false negative, etc.]

"OK, Thursday morning. Or how about Wednesday night?"

"THURSDAY MORNING. Sheesh."

So last night I stopped off at the drugstore and bought two boxes of FRERs. They had the ones with the bonus third stick, and I couldn't resist--I figured, no matter how it turned out, I'd want to POAS every day at least until beta day (Sunday); worst case scenario, I'd use them on my next cycle.

This morning, 11dpiui, I woke up at 4 am, as is my new habit. I managed to force myself back to sort-of sleep for an hour or so, but by 5:30 I was wide awake, going over all the possibilities (okay, obsessing). The best result would obviously be a very strong positive--then I could be reasonably sure it wasn't leftover hCG from my Ovidrel shot, 13 days ago. A negative would suck, but at least I'd know the trigger was out of my system, and it was still early enough that it might be a false negative--I'd just have to test again tomorrow. The most confusing possible result would be a very faint positive. Then it could be either leftover trigger (I think unlikely, after 13 days, but still very possible), or very early pregnancy.

At 6:15, I could take it no longer, and stumbled into the bathroom to do my thing. Guess what the result was?

DING DING DING! All those who answered (c), we have some lovely prizes for you! There was definitely a second line, no doubt at all about that--I've stared at enough completely negative tests to know the difference--but it was very, very, faint. Paler than pale. I rushed back into the bedroom, pee stick in hand, and prodded my husband awake. "It's positive, but only just. I'm going to have to test tomorrow to be sure." "Um hm," he said, rolling over.

In other news, I'm still bloated up like a beach ball. I was so desperate to get things moving last night that I drank a couple glasses of prune juice--let's just say it worked a little too well. Go easy on the prune juice, kids. I also had a lot of cramping, but I think the prune juice might have had a lot to do with that. But my husband was alarmed enough by my size to insist that I call the clinic this morning, so as soon as I finish this post, I'm going to do that--just in case. ***UPDATE: Nurse said that since my urine is clear and of normal volume, and I'm not nauseated or vomiting, I'm probably okay, but I should watch for those signs and call back if any of them appear.

***

And finally, something that's not about me, my uterus, and me me me: After all the bad news we've had in the blogosphere lately, it's nice to finally have some good news. Tori Anne is here! If you haven't already, head over to Cecily's and congratulate her on the arrival of what is possibly the most hotly anticipated baby on the planet, after Sh!loh Jol!e-P!tt.

10 Comments:

Blogger Robber Barren said...

13 days after your trigger shot? Honey, unless you had a super-mega-dose trigger, that's your own homegrown hCG there.

(But I'll reserve my "congrats" for tomorrow, if it'll make you feel better.)

8:47 AM  
Blogger MoMo said...

Wow...this is great....can you get an earlier beta so that you can be sure? Keep us posted--I can't wait!!! Hugs!

9:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with Robbie on this one--it sounds good. I had a fainter-than-faint positive when I tested at 13dpo with P, so if you're getting one at 11dpiui, it's very encouraging.

Can't wait to read tomorrow's update (if I can sneak on around the IL's)!

9:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Woohoo! Sorry, I know it's early, and faint, but still--I am so happy for you. A step in the right direction, at the very least. I will be refreshing until tomorrow...

10:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck from another city girl, following your tales with all her fingers crossed. It sounds very promising, Electriclady :) I'll be refreshing for news!

5:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am SO keeping my fingers crossed that those lines just keep getting darker and darker, baby! We could use some good news around here, so please keep us posted :-)

6:16 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

What great news! I'll keep my fingers crossed for your beta, but I'm sure you'll be getting good news... again :)

10:06 PM  
Blogger Alli and Frankie said...

What?! You were positive? OMG - use the rest of the sticks and tell us what happens!

12:17 AM  
Blogger Thalia said...

Sounds good to me, I cant' believe it's still hcg at this point. Mini congratulations for the time being.

5:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Electriclady, WHAT a time for Blogger to be down! I'm thrilled for you, my dear!!! I hope it all turns out beautifully for you. Keeping all fingers crossed!

8:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home