Thursday, May 25, 2006

Holy crap! *UPDATED*

Today, CD8, after 5 days of stims, I had two 16 mm follicles on the right side, with a third not far behind. Nothing worth measuring on the left side, but we don't care about the left ovary anyway. Go right ovary!

Dr. Silver Fox did my ultrasound this morning. Depending on how my bloodwork comes back, he says he'll most likely have me coast tonight (no meds), trigger tomorrow night, IUI Sunday morning. I think the expression on my face was roughly: "....gah?" "This was a fast cycle for you!" he said cheerfully. No kidding! My husband had just been asking me last night when his, er, services would be needed, and I'd told him, oh, I'm only on day 5 of meds, probably another week. So to say that hearing I'll be triggering on day 9 was a surprise is something of an understatement. When Dr. SF said, "And two weeks from tomorrow, you'll know if you're pregnant," I almost teared up a little.

Of course, hearing that there were three follicles, I had to ask: with three, what are the chances of multiples? Dr. SF reiterated that I'm still more likely to not get pregnant at all, but if I do get pregnant, there's a 20 percent chance of multiples. And let's remember, multiples + unicornuate uterus = bad idea.

I'd had a long talk with my husband earlier this week about selective reduction, and we had another one this morning after my appointment. As it turns out, his objection to reduction is not the expected Catholic-school boy pro-lifer qualm, but rather simply the idea of having to decide which of your potential offspring stays and which goes. "How do you make a decision like that?" he said to me. The procedure itself is not so much an issue, apparently. (I am not in love with the idea of selective reduction, but I wouldn't have a problem doing it if my doctors tell me it's the best thing to do for my own safety and the health of my pregnancy.)

So this morning I told him what Dr. SF said, and that I figured the overall chance of getting pregnant with multiples this cycle was probably around 10 percent. (I just found this, which seems to indicate that it might be even less.) But no matter how low the odds, one thing blogging has taught me is that there is always a real person in that low-odds percentage.

I said that the possibility exists that we might need to make some hard decisions down the road, and if he was not okay with that possibility he needed to tell me. I would be 100 percent okay with canceling the cycle if he didn't think he could handle the ramifications, and we would just need to go to IVF.

He said, "Let's go ahead."

So here we go. I'm excited! Terrified, but excited.

This entry turned out to be a lot longer than I intended...but I will update later today when the nurse calls with results.

*UPDATE*
E2=1074. I think that's OK. Is that OK? Maybe a little too high? But I'm coasting tonight, so it's probably fine. Doctor isn't concerned, so I'm going to try not to worry about it.

And IUI will definitely be Sunday. At long last, after seven months of treatment, I FINALLY have a cycle not get canceled. Woohoo!

4 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

Wow, I can't believe you're already ready for your IUI! That's so fantastic! The concerns you raised are important ones, so I'm glad you and your husband took the time to discuss them before making your decision to go ahead.

Good luck!

1:26 PM  
Blogger MoMo said...

That was fast! You respond to those meds so well. Good luck--I will be thinking of you! I think it is really good that you and your DH are discussing all your concerns...it is really important with what we have to go thru!

3:05 PM  
Blogger Robber Barren said...

Woo-hoo on a non-cancelled cycle! I'll be cheering you on...

8:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi - I am a lurker and I've been reading you for a while... Our situations are very similar, and I think I live in the same Big City as you. No, I don't know you though :-) Anyway, I want to thank you for blogging about your journey, and for doing it so well. I find your posts smart and helpful - I can perfectly relate to pretty much all of it. The "Stick it" post brought tears to my eyes. Injectables are in my *very* near future - I haven't even gotten there, and I already cry about "having to do that". Thanks for putting that feeling into words so well. I am thrilled to hear that this cycle is progressing so well, and I am refreshing every day for updates. My fingers are crossed for you!

1:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home