Holy crap! *UPDATED*
Dr. Silver Fox did my ultrasound this morning. Depending on how my bloodwork comes back, he says he'll most likely have me coast tonight (no meds), trigger tomorrow night, IUI Sunday morning. I think the expression on my face was roughly: "....gah?" "This was a fast cycle for you!" he said cheerfully. No kidding! My husband had just been asking me last night when his, er, services would be needed, and I'd told him, oh, I'm only on day 5 of meds, probably another week. So to say that hearing I'll be triggering on day 9 was a surprise is something of an understatement. When Dr. SF said, "And two weeks from tomorrow, you'll know if you're pregnant," I almost teared up a little.
Of course, hearing that there were three follicles, I had to ask: with three, what are the chances of multiples? Dr. SF reiterated that I'm still more likely to not get pregnant at all, but if I do get pregnant, there's a 20 percent chance of multiples. And let's remember, multiples + unicornuate uterus = bad idea.
I'd had a long talk with my husband earlier this week about selective reduction, and we had another one this morning after my appointment. As it turns out, his objection to reduction is not the expected Catholic-school boy pro-lifer qualm, but rather simply the idea of having to decide which of your potential offspring stays and which goes. "How do you make a decision like that?" he said to me. The procedure itself is not so much an issue, apparently. (I am not in love with the idea of selective reduction, but I wouldn't have a problem doing it if my doctors tell me it's the best thing to do for my own safety and the health of my pregnancy.)
So this morning I told him what Dr. SF said, and that I figured the overall chance of getting pregnant with multiples this cycle was probably around 10 percent. (I just found this, which seems to indicate that it might be even less.) But no matter how low the odds, one thing blogging has taught me is that there is always a real person in that low-odds percentage.
I said that the possibility exists that we might need to make some hard decisions down the road, and if he was not okay with that possibility he needed to tell me. I would be 100 percent okay with canceling the cycle if he didn't think he could handle the ramifications, and we would just need to go to IVF.
He said, "Let's go ahead."
So here we go. I'm excited! Terrified, but excited.
This entry turned out to be a lot longer than I intended...but I will update later today when the nurse calls with results.
E2=1074. I think that's OK. Is that OK? Maybe a little too high? But I'm coasting tonight, so it's probably fine. Doctor isn't concerned, so I'm going to try not to worry about it.
And IUI will definitely be Sunday. At long last, after seven months of treatment, I FINALLY have a cycle not get canceled. Woohoo!