Thursday, June 18, 2009

All systems go

Day 3 bloodwork this morning. Phlebotomist missed the vein and had to go digging for it--ARGH! I don't want to take the bandaid off and see the bruised mess that must be underneath.

Anyway, just got the call from the nurse and everything looks good. FSH=7, which is great (though I had to look it up online to double check--time was I would have known off the top of my head). Start Clomid tonight, back next Saturday (day 12) for u/s and if we have the right number of follicles (1) in the right place (right side) they'll give me the trigger shot right then and there, and IUI next day.

I've been freaking out (A LOT) about this whole second child concept ever since we had the consult with Dr. SF. So much so that I was getting ready to say to my husband that maybe we should just call the whole thing off, that maybe I didn't want another child after all. Then I realized that what's really freaking me out are (a) thought of being pregnant and on bedrest and terrified again, (b) thought of having another newborn and attendant horrors again, and (c) financial worries. When I think about actually having two slightly-more-grown children--teenagers, school-age, even having one toddler and one school-age child--that actually sounds wonderful to me. (Those of you currently in hell because of one toddler and one school-age child, just smile and tell me I'm right.)

So I've been bucking myself up by trying to think of GOOD things about being pregnant and having a newborn (not many, but they do exist--I think) and also by addressing my fears logically. (a) I may not have any problems with a second pregnancy--perhaps my ute has stretched and won't give me grief again. (b) If I have another kid, I'll be more prepared for the psychological fallout of having a newborn, and will cut myself way more slack on the breastfeeding/pumping thing especially (i.e. will not make myself crazy over it). (c) No good solutions here, but people have 2 kids on a lot less money than what we have and survive. It will be fine.

Oh, btw, those of you who know me in real life (or at least on FB or Twitter)--I'm not "out" about trying for #2, so please don't make reference to this or to IF on FB or Twitter or anywhere else my non-blog-reading peeps might see. Not that you would, anyway, but just in case. Kthxbai!

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger OneTiredEma said...

Good luck to you! Having two kids close in age was hard at the beginning and now it's pretty darn nice.

(I am totally having RE flashbacks, btw. Hope it goes quickly and smoothly and all that.)

And I think the money woes might be related to living where you (we) do--there are plenty of places that are not so fracking expensive, you know?

12:05 PM  
Blogger May said...

My experience has been:

Second kid was easier. Some was personality-based, but a lot was my reaction to everything as a second-time parent. It's just easier. You know what the heck you're doing.

Second kid was cheaper. You know what you need and what you don't, and of course a lot of stuff gets reused. I was still surprised by how much less we've spent on #2. I guess part of it is that now we know where the best places to buy things are.

All the stuff I worried about recurring from my first succesful pregnancy (bedrest, problems nursing) did not happen. Of course, being me, there was a whole new set of problems (renal failure, for example), but you get through it, just like the first time.

And watching the sibling interactions as they get older is fabulous.

11:36 PM  
Blogger caramama said...

I just keep reminding myself (through the second pregnancy and now with a newborn and toddler) that this is a very short period of time in the overall scheme of things. And like you said, the idea of having one toddler and one kid in school on up to teenagers and adult children... well, that's what the goal is for us. The fertility treatments, pregnancies and newborn stages are just what we have to get through to get there.

And actually, like May says, the second kid seems much easier so far (even though he is only 2 weeks old). I think so much of it is due to my having been through it before, not worrying as much and having a lot of stuff already bought and reusing. His personality seems a bit easier so far, as well. At least in some ways.

I'm not going to lie. It's not all rainbows and unicorns. But seriously much easier on us all than the first child turning life upside-down.

Good luck with all of it! I hope your IF treatments go smoothly!

4:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home