Thursday, April 10, 2008

Woohoo!

Just got a call from our accountant--we are getting a HUGE refund this year. As in, approaching five figures huge. Whee!

Unfortunately, we can't run out and blow it all on DVF dresses (me) and vintage Transformers (husband) and foie gras (oohhhh), as over the past year, between the hospital bills and the organic formula and the partially unpaid maternity leave and the going from two incomes to one and the price of EVERYTHING going up and the total lack of budgeting skillz up in our house--and, clearly, the massively excessive tax withholding from my paycheck--we have been running a major budget deficit each month. So most of that fat gubmint check will go to replenishing our savings, and then maybe we will buy a sexy new vacuum cleaner. And pay the accountant.

But it's nice to know that having a kid does have SOME financial perks. Now excuse me, I have to go change my withholding.

(God, being a grownup makes you so fucking boring. Accountants! Withholding! This is what passes for fun around here!)

6 Comments:

Blogger Aunt Becky said...

Being a grownup is sooo dull. I feel you.

But, YAY for refunds!

1:23 PM  
Blogger MoMo said...

Woohoo is right!!! That is fantastic. I on the other hand is still refusing to write that check to the IRS until April 15th..at like 11:59 pm!!!

Oh and according to S, the worst part about it is that he is married to CPA who can't do taxes!!! Yes, I know pretty sad, but my excuse is that I've never done tax work before--only took classes in college. You can't expect an orthopedic doctor to deliver babies!!! S doesn't buy this theory at all--he just thinks I'm lame!!

1:26 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

Hooray for refunds, even if accounting is boring!

4:02 PM  
Blogger Miss W said...

You are such a better grown up than me! Sadly, I always view any refund money as fun money. (Is this why my savings account isn't anywhere near where I want it to be?)

4:20 PM  
Blogger May said...

I could have written this.

Yippee for deductible interest and the child tax credit!!

4:27 PM  
Blogger Antropóloga said...

I hope the government enjoyed your interest-free loan!

I think we are using our refund to get a new roof.

2:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home