Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Happy new year and all that

Hey! I missed you! Did you miss me? Not much time for reading blogs (or writing) the last couple of weeks, what with being home with Bat Girl for 12 days straight and my husband having some mysterious illness the details of which are too gross to share and all kinds of family flitting in and out for Baby's First Christmas.

Anyway, so my parents and brother were in town for the actual Christmas and days surrounding--staying in a hotel, thank goodness. Unlike our Labor Day weekend visit, this time BG was perfectly sociable and played with and snuggled both my parents, to their delight and my relief. (Psst--I prepped her by showing her their pictures every day for the week preceding. Don't tell them.) My dad took a scientific interest in the frequency with which Bat Girl circled the living room and calculated that, proportionally to her size, she was running the adult equivalent of several miles daily. Bat Girl got some cute toys and clothes. I got no gifts but lots of cash, which given my pickiness is probably better anyway.

Then mere hours after my family left, my in-laws came to town for a couple of days. They were staying at my husband's great-aunt's house, a 90-minute subway ride from our apartment (literally the longest uninterrupted subway ride possible in this city), so naturally they thought it would be a great idea for us to drag a baby over there for the day Thursday. Which actually ended up fine, but for the napless meltdown BG had at the end of the day. Everyone finally cleared out on Friday. Whoo!

Sunday was my birthday. I am now 34 years old. (Which reminds me, I should update my Blogger profile, shouldn't I?) For my birthday, I asked to be able to sleep in until 10 a.m. I have gotten up with BG every morning her entire life, which means that I have not slept past 8 (and most days, not past 6) in 11 months. 10 a.m., that was all I asked for. My husband made it to 9, then brought BG back to bed, where she proceeded to complain until I got up and took her back to the living room where all the toys are. ("I tried, honey...it's just so hard..." he mumbled as we left the room. Yeah, I KNOW. I only do it EVERY WEEKEND while I let YOU sleep in.) But I'm not bitter! Not me! Sunday night we went out to an awesome restaurant--the first time we have been out to dinner, just the two of us, since before I went on bedrest, 14 months ago, and the first time we've ever had an evening babysitter. We did not talk about or think about BG the whole time. I had two glasses of wine and was hammered. BG slept the whole time we were gone and only woke up when we got home, around 11:30 (and then took 45 minutes to settle down--happy birthday, drunk Mommy!).

Anyway, I'm not usually much for New Year's contemplation (sour grapes for having a perpetually cheerless winter-holiday birthday?), but here's a New Year's meme, swiped from Jonniker.

1. What did you do in 2007 that you’d never done before?
Uh, had a baby. Milked myself.

2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
As I wrote this time last year, "I've always sucked at making resolutions and taking stock. As I look ahead to 2007, my 34th year, all I can hope for is a healthy baby and the strength to be the best mother I can be." If that counts as a resolution, I'd say I most definitely kept it.

As for 2008, my boring resolution is to make a household budget (so we have some idea where all the money goes) and stick to it. I also have a lot of work-related resolutions, one of which is to think about finding a new job that pays better. (I love my job, but salary-wise I'm stuck in a rut.) My personal resolution is to be less negative--I tend to complain too much and also to be too negative toward my husband, so I want to try to be more positive in general. Don't worry, I'll save a little whining for you guys.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?

Besides me? A bunch of coworkers and not-super-close friends. Two years ago every birth announcement would have been like knives in my heart. This year, I was able to be genuinely happy for every single one of them.

(And of course there were so many of you blog buddies--too many to link to!--who finally got your joy this year. I'm so happy for you all.)

4. Did anyone close to you die?
No, thank goodness.

5. What countries did you visit?
None. In some ways, this was a very boring year.

6. What would you like to have in 2008 that you lacked in 2007?
I definitely lacked balance this year--not enough time and energy for myself and for my marriage. I realize that's an inevitable part of having an infant, but I'm hoping that the coming year, I'll be able to do better.

7. What dates from 2007 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?

Well, February 5, of course--the day of my daughter's birth.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?

Yeah, um, that whole birth thing? Also: Breastfeeding (sort of) against the odds. Having the sense (eventually) to know when to stop breastfeeding. Being a working mom and not sucking too badly at either the working part or the mom part.

9. What was your biggest failure?

I don't know...I was going to say, letting my breastfeeding failure get to me too much and not enjoying the early months of BG's life enough. But then I realized, isn't it interesting that I didn't think that "not being able to breastfeed" was my biggest failure? So that's a victory right there. So you know what? I didn't fail this year. I am a winner! (Heh.)

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?

Nothing significant.

11. What was the best thing you bought?
Um...a Moby wrap? Three weeks of post-partum doula services? God, how depressingly mommy of me. Oh, I know! My R@zr mobile phone. I think I bought that in 2007. Whew.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?

Blogladies everywhere. Biggest smooches to Pru, who saved my sanity in more ways than one. My husband, stay-at-home dad par excellence.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Oh Britney.

14. Where did most of your money go?

Other than rent? Overpriced organic formula, and diapers. Like I said, boring.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?

Taking a business trip and sleeping in a hotel bed. Look, sleep is exciting, OK?

16. What song will always remind you of 2007?

Oh geez, I fell off the planet when it comes to music this year. I know that Natasha Bedingfield song came out the year before but I do kind of associate that with this year. (Seriously folks, I need help in the music department.) Actually I'll probably think of the new Bruce Springsteen album, since that's what I played for BG at bedtime for about a month and half. Oh, and "You Are My Sunshine, of course.

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:

a) happier or sadder?
Oh lord, happier, no question.
b) thinner or fatter? 
Considering that this time last year I was carrying 25 additional pounds of baby, placenta, and flab: thinner.
c) richer or poorer?
 About the same. Except for all the money spent on diapers and formula.

18. What do you wish you’d done more of?

Shopped. No time, no extra cash, though.

19. What do you wish you’d done less of?

Crying about my faulty boobs.

20. How did you spend Christmas?
See above.

21. Did you fall in love in 2007?

Just with my delicious daughter.

22. What was your favorite TV program?

Heaven help me, Gossip Girl.

23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
Not that I can think of. Not because I'm such a loving, peaceable person--I just couldn't muster up the energy.

24. What was the best book you read?
I didn't read much this year (see: baby, boring life, etc.) but I did enjoy Eat, Pray, Love, along with 90% of the other women in this country.

25. What was your greatest musical discovery?

See above re: musical lameness.

26. What did you want and get?

A healthy, beautiful baby.

27. What did you want and not get?

I can't really think of anything, which does put all my whining about not being able to afford pretty things in perspective, doesn't it?

28. What was your favorite film of this year?

I did not see a single film in the theater this year. Just in case you didn't believe me about the no balance thing.

29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?

See above.

30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Immeasurably more satisfying? I can't imagine. A baby who sleeps through the night?

31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2007?

"Just don't let me be like one of those sad frumpy mommies on What Not to Wear."

32. What kept you sane?

Blogladies. Chocolate. Bad TV.

33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?

I must admit, I do get my knickers in a twist for Barack Obama. And everyone's boyfriend, Jon Stewart.

34. What political issue stirred you the most?

I was not very stirred this year--too focused on myself and my family. But I'm always ready to be riled up for choice, health care reform, and the environment.

35. Who did you miss?

Far-off friends, too many to count. Why does everyone move away?

36. Who was the best new person you met?

I made a new friend at work. And I met Momo!

37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2007.
You are more than your boobs.

38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
Ah hell, I don't know. Is there a song that goes, "Where the f*$& does the time go?"

This thing took longer than I thought it would, so I'm not tagging anyone...but feel free to do it or pieces of it on your blog or in the comments.

5 Comments:

Blogger Antropóloga said...

I'm very much with you on all the breastfeeding stuff, though for me most of that was in 2006, except for the part in 2007 where I freaked out about weaning.

I haven't seen a movie in a theatre since I was pregnant.

Also, I very much relate to you about the sleeping in then. I WANT TO SLEEP IN!

7:45 PM  
Blogger Bird's Eye View Photography said...

Oh thank god someone else likes gossip girl. I thought I was alone! My husband thinks I need help.

12:11 PM  
Blogger MoMo said...

Belated Happy Birthday!!

I haven't seen a movie in ages either!! We attempted to do it during the holidays but it the movie times was too early or too late! Who knew that we would ever think that a 10 pm showing was too late!!!

4:05 PM  
Blogger Aunt Becky said...

Happy Birthday!

I could so use a night out like that. Hmm....too bad my birthday is in July.

8:58 AM  
Blogger MsPrufrock said...

Aw, ain't you sweet? I'm glad I could help.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is how you make one woman's painstakingly completed meme into something which is all.about.you.

1:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home