Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Whine, whine, whine

• The sleep improves in fits and starts. We were down to one waking per night (bliss!) but now Bat Girl seems to be trying to make up for a lifetime of toothlessness by cutting four teeth at once. (I can feel two nubs on the top, and on the bottom, I can SEE two entire teeth, mere microns of gum separating them from the world.) So much for sleep.

• I feel extra whiny today because all my coworkers are going to the D!ane v0n Fur$tenberg sample sale. DVF dresses for $150! (That's, like, 75% off.) But my broke ass has to stay at my desk, because I'll be spending one DVF dress worth of cash printing and mailing our Christmas cards (ugh to postage hikes), and last month I spent two DVF dresses worth of cash on new winter dress boots, which I really needed (my legs seem to have expanded since being pregnant)--and based on how long I had my last pair, I'll wear these for the next 12 years, so it was worth the $$$. And this year I've spent a horrifying number of DVF dresses on organic formula, and diapers, and student loans, and legal fees from making our wills, and hospital bills, and cat surgery, and renting cars to make trips to see my in-laws (that I didn't even want to make)...sigh. I would like some pretty new things, but what little spare cash we have this month is going to Christmas presents for family. And the gift card I know I'm getting from my MIL this year will be going toward new underwear. (Tip: You may be able to wear your regular bikini underwear throughout your pregnancy, but it will be destroyed by the time you give birth. Spring for the maternity underwear.)

• I do realize that these are the problems of the comfortable middle class, and that my definition of "broke" would be queenly wealth to 99.999% of the world. It's just hard when you work in a stupidly fashion-conscious city and everyone around you is buying themselves nice things all the time. Including your assistant, who makes one quarter of your salary and has a wardrobe costing probably eight times what yours does. (And I realize she is single and has credit card debt up to her eyeballs and I am supporting a family of three while trying to save up to buy an apartment, but still.)

• I am trying to tell myself that I am exemplifying a new lower-consumption model of living that is both morally admirable and better for the planet. Not working so well.

• You know what? I just realized I gave many, many DVF dresses worth of cash and goods to charity this year. And that actually does make me feel better.

• Except that I still only got 5 hours of sleep last night.

5 Comments:

Blogger Caba said...

Tell me about it! I work for a company that sells jewelry that comes in pretty blue boxes, and as much as I would love to buy myself tons of gifts, even with the discount, I stop myself and realize that I need to buy formula. Ugh.

7:51 PM  
Blogger Aunt Becky said...

The lack of sleep thing blows, duder. I am so sorry, and I wish I had some assvice to give you. Better yet, I wish things had improved for you so *I* could pick your brain for some solutions to our own wealth of problems.

Good luck, and try your best to stay sane.

11:28 PM  
Blogger Bird's Eye View Photography said...

I am still with you on the no sleeping-- we had about a 10 day repeive and then the ear infection monster, the mucas monster and the bi bad tooth monster came a knocking again. Damn.

12:55 PM  
Blogger Antropóloga said...

I really hope the sleep thing turns around for you soon! That sounds miserable.

Pat yourself on the back for being so responsible. What, that doesn't make you feel better?

7:21 PM  
Blogger Jody said...

Oh the sleep, the sleep! I hope it gets better. It will make facing all the folks in their fancy dresses and their non-existent savings accounts much easier. I hope. I wish. I suffer from the green-eyed monster about the frivolities myself.

1:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home