Sunday, November 04, 2007

Nine months

Technically Bat Girl will turn nine months old tomorrow, but since I'll be at work and trying very hard not to waste time puttering around on the Internet (...ha), I thought I'd take time out from cursing whoever thought up Daylight Savings Time (clearly not someone with a baby who already sleeps like crap) to mark the occasion. Feel free to skip this one if you're not into baby minutiae.

At nine months old, BG is a crawling speed demon, zooming across the floor after the cat at Mach 3, and exploring pretty much every dusty, hairy inch of floor in our apartment, except for the kitchen (because it contains the litter box, and now you suddenly don't ever want to eat at my place, do you?) and, oddly, her own room (because she's generally only ever in there to sleep or be cuddled or changed). The steps up from the sunken living room pose no challenge now. She's also been experimenting with standing without holding on to anything and taking little hands-free dives from, say, the coffee table to the couch. We think she will probably be walking by Christmas. Unfortunately, all this activity comes with a lot of bumps and bruises, especially when you have mostly hardwood floors, and she's currently sporting a scab on her nose and a wicked bruise on her right ear.

She definitely says "Mama" now, at least in MY opinion. In fact, two Fridays ago, when I came home from work, she shouted "MAMA!" and zoomed over to the door on all fours--a pretty awesome moment. She also calls out "Mamamama" when she wakes up in the morning and is ready for me to come get her for our morning play session--and sometimes cries it in the middle of the night. My husband is jealous and is working very hard on getting her to say "Dada." Interestingly, I think I've figured out that "mehmehmehmeh" is her way of saying, "Dammit, get me a bottle NOW, you fools!"

She loves to play with my necklaces and my hair. Other favorite toys include measuring cups, these little finger puppets I got for $1 each, sugar packets at restaurants, and a stuffed carrot (part of a whole veggie set--she sleeps with the green beans). Her toys stay very clean because, oddly enough, she never puts anything in her mouth, except sometimes her fingers (and she sucks on her wrist when she's tired). So obviously finger foods and self-feeding have not happened yet, though I put some organic "O" cereal on her high chair tray at every mealtime, so she can work on her pincer grasp and I can have a few whine-free seconds to get her food ready. She goes through phases of loving solids and not-so-much-loving solids--right now is an anti phase, though she LOVED the beans I picked out of my chili for her the other night. I've been getting bored with the stuff I'm feeding her, so probably she's bored too and I need to be introducing some different foods and combos more aggressively (and broadening my repertoire a little).

What else...sleep is getting a little better (fingers crossed)--we've only had one or two wakings the past few nights. The latest wrinkle is that she will no longer go down for a nap with me--on the weekends, either my husband has to put her down or I have to trick her into a nap by taking her out in the stroller. I spent two hours yesterday afternoon trying to get her to go down until finally my husband pointed out that she's probably too excited to see me during the day and doesn't want to go to sleep. Which is one of those weird happy/sad working mom things. (Also happy/sad: the way she smiles and gets excited when she hears my voice on speakerphone; the fierceness with which she clings to my neck when I get home from work, so that I can't even put her down to pee.)

She's starting to get the hang of waving (though she hasn't quite worked out where the fingers go and sometimes throws a "peace out" or, for my readers across the Atlantic, a rude gesture), and she's fully on board with clapping, which she'll do any time one of us says "Yaaaayyy!" (Sometimes she responds with "Aaaayyyyy!" all Fonz-like.) Super cute.

Okay, boringest post ever. Thanks for tolerating my mommy overload.

6 Comments:

Blogger Antropóloga said...

I love it. It's like reading about my baby from a few months ago. Nostalgia.

Once she can totally feed herself it will be awesome. Think of all the fun dish washing you can get to!

11:00 PM  
Blogger Jody said...

Ahhhh, I loved that age....

9:43 AM  
Blogger MoMo said...

She just sounds so adorable!! I just love this age and I wish I can bottle them up ...but I know that is not possible!

9:53 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

Very fun....

Zack has the pincher grasp down but still refuses to regular crawl. Prefering instead to drag himself along. On the upside he throughly cleans all the hardwood floors!! :-)

2:08 PM  
Blogger Thalia said...

what a lovely post, she sounds like she's doing brilliantly.

11:32 PM  
Blogger TeamWinks said...

I like the mommy overload stories! She sounds precious and a whole lot of fun!

10:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home