Saturday, October 13, 2007

Been so long

Last week we had our physicals for life insurance. (I'm telling you, people, I'm feeling OLD.) Or maybe I should say "physicals," because basically the "doctor" came to our apartment, asked us a few questions, took our blood pressures, had us pee in cups (uh, one each), and drew some blood. Not exactly a thorough workup.

When it was my turn to have blood drawn, he asked me which arm I'd prefer to have the blood taken from. I froze. Based on my extensive experience with the clinic vampires, I know that one arm almost always blows out, and one arm almost always yields a bruise-free, nearly painless experience. Except it had been so long since I last had blood drawn that I couldn't remember which arm was the good arm.

I know--can you imagine? I would never, ever have thought that this piece of information could be burned away from my brain. But apparently it has, so I had to guess. Based on the nasty green and purple bruise an inch and a half in diameter in the crook of my left elbow, I guessed completely wrong.

(Or maybe it was just that the "doctor" had no butterfly needles on him and stuck me with what felt like a knitting needle. Ugh.)

4 Comments:

Blogger Rachel Inbar said...

Poor you. Sounds awful :-(

It is nice that you've been able to forget :-)

3:38 AM  
Blogger MoMo said...

Oh...sorry that you picked the wrong arm..but i think it is a good sign that you don't remember! :)

10:10 AM  
Blogger Antropóloga said...

I have no good arms and they usually resort to my hands, which, OUCH. I had no idea doctors did house calls for this kind of thing. Also, you have life insurance? Yes, very grown up. I need to get on that.

11:10 AM  
Blogger Miss W said...

No butterfly needles??? I've got crap veins, too, so I just find that cruel and unusual. Hopefully the bruise will fade as quickly as the memories of which is the good arm.

12:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home