Saturday, October 06, 2007

Eight months

So apparently yesterday Bat Girl turned 8 months old. How the hell did that happen?

She crawls and pulls up and eats blueberries and avocado and mango and butternut squash and basically any other orange vegetable or fruit you can think of. She has an embarrassing number of toys for a person whose parents swore never to let their home be taken over by plastic crap, but give her two measuring cups and she will happily bang them together forever. My husband swore she said "Dada" the other day but she has not repeated the feat, so the jury is still out.

We seem to be in the throes of the 8-month sleep regression--that's what I'm telling myself, anyway, so as not to want to kill myself every 1.5-2 hours when she wakes up crying. So, you know. Tired. I keep thinking it has to get better, but it's been going on for weeks and weeks and only seems to be getting worse. Bleah. People keep telling me to do "sleep training" (i.e. cry it out) but I'm not willing to go down that road. Yet. Besides, now that she's pulling up, if she cries long enough, she pulls up on the crib and obviously is not going to soothe herself to sleep that way.

I have lots more to say about sleep but I'm too tired to be coherent about it. Heh. Anyway, just tell me that your kid went through a crappy sleep phase and then leveled out, OK?

Other than the sleep thing, she is happy and healthy and beautiful and just the funniest, coolest little thing. Not that I'm biased or anything.

*****

In other news, last week I got to meet the fabulous miss Momo! I'd never actually met a blog buddy IRL before, so I was a little nervous, not that Momo would turn out to be crazy (as my husband said not-so-comfortingly, "You'll probably end up being the crazy one"), but that it would be weird or awkward. But we clicked immediately and couldn't stop talking and laughing, and I cursed the fact that I had to go back to work after lunch instead of just hanging out all afternoon. So if anyone else wants to come hang out in the Big City, call me! Let's get together! I'm not too crazy!

10 Comments:

Blogger Rachel Inbar said...

Congrats on BatGirl's 2/3 birthday! The sleep issues do eventually get resolved one way or another. My twins started sleeping through the night at 9 months, when I was in the hospital for 3 days (suspected appendicitis) and their father was too lazy to wake up for them... It really does get better :-)

3:35 AM  
Blogger MsPrufrock said...

I HATED sleep regression. Wait, does anyone actually like it? My kid went from sleeping through the night without fail to waking up a few times in the night and then getting up every damn day at any time from 4.30am-6am. For good. I shudder at the thought of that now. I didn't know about sleep regression until P was having her issues and I read all about it at Moxie's. I can't wait until the next lot. Heh.

Regarding crying it out - I won't do it. Moxie (love her) rightly pointed out that there are two kinds of babies, those who cry to release tension, and those who cry and gain tension. Guess which one of those P is? Crying it out just creates an ungodly situation in this house, plus I don't know if it's really good for kids to associate going to sleep with this trauma.

Anyway, head over to Moxie's if you haven't already. It will make you feel better.

Oh yeah, and happy 8 month birthday to BatGirl!!

5:00 AM  
Blogger TeamWinks said...

Glad you two had such a great time! I'm truly not looking forward to sleep regression, but at this point you can't regress from the crappy sleep situation we're already in!

If I lived near the big city, I'd completely take you up on the offer. :-)

7:51 AM  
Blogger May said...

D was never a good sleeper until she was about 9 months old. But, for us, it was a logical progression from waking all the freakin' time, to three times a night, like clockwork, then to twice a night like clockwork, then only once, and finally at around 9 months, not at all.

We (gasp) did sleep training, though. She responded well to it, and it worked for us. However, I firmly believe people need to stop pushing what worked for their kid onto everyone else's kids, and give people the space to figure out their own kids' needs for themselves.

It's not a fun process. Good luck. You'll come out the other side, though. D sleeps like a champ now (once she finally GOES to sleep), but that's a whole 'nother story...

11:24 AM  
Blogger May said...

PS I'd LOVE to meet up, but I don't think "Big City" and "Land of the Sun" are in the same time zone!!!

11:25 AM  
Blogger Antropóloga said...

My kid used to sleep twelve hours at night (except for the sleep regressions) and now just doesn't. She's up at least once, usually up to 6 times. But I really am not worried about it since I know it will change, as things will with yours.

We also have lots of baby crap everywhere. And I don't even care! But yes, she'd be happy just playing with the balls of fur on the floor if we let her.

I actually now have regular playdate with a blogging friend. It's really fun!

3:27 PM  
Blogger MoMo said...

It was so great to meet you! I had such a great time...we need to do that again soon!!!

Sorry to hear about the sleep issues. I do hope that it will get better soon. I tired the crying it out w/B but I just really couldn't do it. Plus I agree w/msprufrock, I don't want him to associate sleeping with crying.

10:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Um, all my kids went through crappy sleep phases and then it all leveled out.


;o)

11:03 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

Yeah... give Zack a wooden spoon and he will play for HOURS. He has a whole bin of plastic crap and he will dig through it to find the spoon.

As for sleep regression.... I don't have any advice for you. My child, he likes to sleep. A LOT!! I just pray that it continues.

9:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

3:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home