Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Milk made

This morning, like always, I got up with Bat Girl around 6 am, changed her, fed her, and played with her until I had to get ready for work. I usually put her back in her crib and make silly faces at her while I brush my teeth, then she plays by herself (plays! by herself! I never dreamed the day would come!) while I shower. Whenever she's had enough (usually after about 5 minutes), she squawks until my husband gets up and comes to retrieve her. Today, though, as I was getting undressed, she decided she didn't feel like playing alone and started crying angrily. I went and got her, soothed her, and put her in bed with my husband. Then I looked down and saw...little droplets of milk on my nipples.

This isn't the first time this has happened. Every now and then, I still get the familiar tingling letdown sensation, usually if I've been rolling around on the floor with Bat Girl for a while or if she's upset about something. And I can still squeeze out a few drops if I try hard enough. It's not much--not even enough to soak through a thin T-shirt--but it's there.

Just to be clear: Two and a half months after weaning, I am still lactating. What is up with that?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A year or two after weaning I could still express drops of milk during a monthly breast exam. Weird I know. I wonder if this was the basis for wet nurses?

11:56 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

Oh don't tell me that!! I haven't weaned him yet but I was hoping when I did within a few weeks it would all be done... now you're telling me it could be a few years?? :-(

9:21 AM  
Blogger MoMo said...

I hear you!! I have the same issue. For me even a little squeeze,some milk comes out! I wonder if we are really going to be milk free??

10:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One of the women in my mother's group, who wasn't able to breastfeed at all due to very low supply/not latching etc. still leaks four months afer the fact. It IS full on.

7:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home