Wednesday, August 08, 2007

I could get used to this

Bat Girl turned six months old on Sunday, and I can finally say that this baby business does seem to be worth it, needles and 7 am wandings and five months of contractions and bedrest and all.

At six months old, Bat Girl is, if I may say in my totally unbiased opinion, an absolute delight. She rolls over, grabs for toys, sits unassisted (that one she's just been able to do in the last few days), and every chance she gets she pops up on her hands and knees and rocks back and forth like crazy, as if she could take off by sheer willpower alone. (We haven't done a shred of childproofing yet, so I'm hoping she holds off on crawling just a little bit longer.) She's still not 100 percent on board with solid foods, but when she likes something (avocado and banana are the current faves) she lunges for it with gusto. We had a golden week where she slept from 7 pm to 6 am straight through every night, but now that she's trying so hard to crawl that she's practically crawling in her sleep, we're back to once-nightly wakings. I'm not complaining, though--once a night is pretty damn good.

She's incredibly social and loves new people--when we go for walks she smiles and kicks her legs at every new face, and if someone comes up and talks to her (which everyone does), she squeals and giggles. When she laughs I laugh too, from pure joy. But in addition to her happy excitability, she also has a thoughtful side. I know it's weird to say that an infant is thoughtful, but there is something in her face...several people have independently said to us that she looks like she has an "old soul."

My husband and I often say to each other that we wish she could stay like this forever. She is a perfect baby. Except that if she stayed like this forever, we'd never get to see her grow up, and I suspect she will be a formidable young woman. And won't that be a sight to see.

(You know, it's funny, when I try to write about how special and awesome my baby is it just sounds like she's any old baby. Mommy blinders, I guess!)

Life isn't perfect by any means. I'm still having a lot of trouble making time to take care of myself--even to have a half an hour to sit in front of the TV and vegetate. We've yet to leave her with a babysitter or even a relative for more than an hour, so with the exception of when we were at my in-laws' and went out for ice cream after Bat Girl went to bed, we haven't had a date since...I can't remember. But we'll work that all out.

I just can't believe how lucky I am.

8 Comments:

Blogger TeamWinks said...

Glad to hear she is doing so well!

5:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Six months already, huh? Seems like yesterday, and yet it doesn't, lol.
I'm glad to hear you're having so much fun with her!

10:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Electriclady, that is wonderful to hear! She sounds adorable, and it's great to hear that things are coming together for you.

10:28 AM  
Blogger Bird's Eye View Photography said...

Time flies-- enjoy every little moment. Even the tough ones... you forget fast- and then don't appreciate the great moments.

Glad to hear that everythign is wonderful!

10:32 AM  
Blogger MoMo said...

Oh..does time flies. I keep telling S that I wish I can put B on a bottle and freeze time! Enjoy every moment..before you now it, they won't even let kiss them in front of their friends!! Sigh.

11:35 AM  
Blogger MsPrufrock said...

Hurray! Happiness at last. I'm so glad to hear it.

Hey, uh...want to send some pictures my way? I'd love to see her!

6:26 PM  
Blogger heather said...

i completely agree! we are so lucky and i can't believe that the past six months have really gone by (the first 2 were really hard though)! my dd loves to watch people and looks like she's ready to jump into the conversation at any moment. what a wonderful blessing we have:) keep updating:)

11:35 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

It doesn't sound like she's any old baby. It sounds like she's your baby and you're bursting with pride. I feel the same way about my son. It's a mom thing...

9:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home