Friday, August 24, 2007

What my life has come to

The better part of my week was devoted to getting Bat Girl to poop. Something--perhaps the dehydrating effect of last week's hot weather, perhaps Bat Girl's overenthusiastic consumption of mango coupled with the introduction of applesauce--caused her to get all backed up over the weekend. It happened gradually, until Monday she was emitting what my husband said resembled fishtank gravel in size and texture. Poor thing. It didn't seem to bother her much, but it can't have been comfortable.

I talked to the pediatrician, who suggested prunes, or apple or pear juice diluted with water. I considered the Q-tip trick. But prunes were what did it--E@rth's Be*st Prunes and Oatmeal, eaten once a day at first (just a few spoonfuls), then twice a day in large portions. (Large for Bat Girl, anyway, meaning half a 4-oz jar.) Luckily she enjoyed them.

We had switched to size 3 diapers about a week ago, even though they're a little big for her, because the size 2 were starting to give her enough of a plumber's butt that I was worried about their ability to contain her output. And so this morning, when my phone rang at work, the first words out of my husband's mouth were, "If she hadn't been wearing a size 3 diaper..." Carnage contained, baby at peace, hallelujah for prunes.

And I just wrote a whole post about poop. At least it wasn't my own poop, this time.

3 Comments:

Blogger Miss W said...

My lowercase was *constantly* backed up. He was on a steady diet of prune juice (at the end, 2 oz a day), oatmeal as his only cereal, and still the occasional tiny shaving from a glycerin suppository was required. At least we never had to fill the prescription for laxatives that the ped wrote for us!

6:59 PM  
Blogger heather said...

we're experiencing that as well now that we've started solids. dd went from tuesday til today without pooping...and when she did, she looked a little scared at the paste like poop coming out instead of the good old liquified stuff.

and if you're using pampers diapers, they make size 2-3 now. we have dd in those during the day and size 3 at night...just in case lol.

2:21 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

I am continually amazed at how something I found so disgusting before kids can now be a topic of conversation!! Ahhh.. the joys of children, when conversations turn to input and output!! (Their's of course!!)

10:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home