Saturday, November 04, 2006

Forgive me, Alexa

For I have sinned.

In my defense, let me first say the following:

1. I live in what is supposedly the "fashion" "capital" of the "U.S." And thus, alongside all the sleekly coiffed, impeccably dressed humanity, there is a great deal of fashion victimhood. Mukluks? Prairie skirts? Gauchos? Dresses over pants? We have seen it all. I also work in an industry particularly prone to retarded fashion, to follow-the-trends-at-all-costs. And when you are surrounded by otherwise sane women wearing skinny jeans and leg warmers, day in and day out, you begin to lose your grip.

2. I hate maternity pants. They are just too damn uncomfortable. And believe me, I have ordered (not allowed to actually go shopping, remember) and returned about 20 pairs.

3. I was going to write something here very complicated about skirts and footwear and bare legs and cold weather, but let's face it, it's all just rationalization.

And so, despite the fact that I have sworn up and down that, having come of age in the darkest hour of fashion (I turned 18 in 1991), having worn more pairs of heinous leggings in my lifetime than I can count, I would never, EVER wear anything remotely legging-like ever again, what did I do?

No, I did not purchase leggings. But I purchased two pairs of the legging's cross-eyed half-sister--the footless tight. (Maternity--yes, even the preggos can share in fashion's demise.)

On Thursday, I went back to the office for a brief check-in, and I wore the accursed garment--not with a butt-skimming sweatshirt, at least I have better sense than that. With a very cute little dress and beaded flats. I actually got lots of compliments on the outfit, and [whisper]I thought I looked cute, too.[/whisper]

So, I'm sorry. I seem to have crossed over to the dark side. Pray for my soul.

7 Comments:

Blogger TeamWinks said...

How funny is that! I can only imagine. Glad to hear you in high spirits!

Well, we're trying an IUI next cycle. Any tips?

4:53 PM  
Blogger MsPrufrock said...

Frankly, I'm disappointed. You just wait until Alexa reads this missy...

5:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I forgive you, my child.

I am sure you looked lovely--after all you are pregnant, and it is more or less impossible for pregnant people to look fat, even if they are wearing LEGGINGS. The ability to look "pregnant" instead of "whale-esque" is one of the things I look forward to about pregnancy.

But I had better not catch you in "footless tights" after that baby is delivered, young lady.

10:01 AM  
Blogger Rachel Inbar said...

Did you have an excuse ready just in case, like "Oh no! I accidentally put on my pajama pants! Thank you so much for pointing it out to me..."

3:15 PM  
Blogger Me said...

We must have pics of said outfit.

7:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I actually saw a pair of those footless tights yesterday and was tempted, but then lost all confidence I could pull it together.

My instincts told me go with flats/ballet slipper things but WHAT ELSE?

Just leggings and shoes seemed a tad, well, casual for work.

So good for you, I bet on a pregnant lady that's a cute look :-)

8:50 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

I'm glad to see I am not the only one who had kind of thrown fashion out the window in a large desire to find SOMETHING comfortable to spend my time in.

Alas, I have not gone to leggings yet but I have broken into my husband's side of the closet and worn a couple of his big baggy sweaters.

6:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home