Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Mental milestones

Since early on in this pregnancy, I've had several milestones in my head that I obsess about. The end of the first trimester, of course, and the 20-week ultrasound, naturally. But the next two are the big ones. At the end of October, I'll have reached 24 weeks, which is the point at which, if I understand correctly, Bat Girl has a better than even chance of surviving outside the womb, should my ute decide it's had enough of this pregnancy business. And then, if I can make it to the new year, I'll be 33 weeks--the point at which she will have an excellent chance of surviving without lasting complications. Not that having a 33-weeker is desirable, but it's certainly better than 30 weeks, or 27 weeks. And every week after that is a gift, as far as I'm concerned.

It appears my OB has some milestones of her own in mind, too. Yesterday, TheGoodDoc had a nurse practitioner shadowing her, and after introducing us, she explained to the NP my situation and how she considers me to be "very high risk." "When she makes it to 32 weeks, we'll breathe easier, and if she makes it to 35 weeks, we'll have champagne," she said to the NP, and then turned to me: "How about it? You want to bring in the champagne? I'll let you drink it!"

She did not believe that my cervix had magically grown, unfortunately, and re-measured it herself: 3.5 cm. I suppose it's better to go by the smaller number, just to be on the safe side. So I still need to limit my activity--necessary walking only, sitting whenever possible. I can go to ONE baby store at a time, if that is my ONE activity for the day and I take a cab home. I complained a little about the continued restrictions and she pointed out that it could be much worse--that she had some patients on hospital bed rest for as long as three months.

OK then. I just need to keep reminding myself: Four more weeks. I'll be holding my breath for four more weeks.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll be holding my breath with you, and thinking happy and wonderful thoughts for BatGirl!

5:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good Lord, can't we infertiles get a free pass when it comes to finally getting pregnant? Like once you get there, you're on easy street?!?

Along with Erin, I'm also holding my breath with you and sending good thoughts that you reach these milestones quickly, safely and easily.

6:48 PM  
Blogger MoMo said...

I guess being on bedrest or hospital for 3 months is not pleasant at all. I am glad that you are allowed to go to one baby store a day--it will be fun.

Four more weeks is just around the corner--so hang in there. Just like everyone esle, I am holding my breath along with you!

9:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

May the four weeks pass swiftly--I too will breathe a huge sigh of relief. And you should definitely take your OB up on the champagne offer!

10:15 AM  
Blogger Alli and Frankie said...

{{hugs}} That is hard - a month seems long when you aren't breathing! Hope it flies by and that milestone is passed.

12:37 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

Even though this pregnancy has been complication free I also have always had those same milestones in my head.

I for one will be rooting for you to go to 38 weeks!!

1:53 PM  
Blogger May said...

Hello, delurking here to say I was one of those 3 months (well, 13 weeks, to be specific) hospital bedrest people! It has its disadvantages, certainly, but its advantages too. It's impossible to compare these experiences, really- they're all hard. Anyway, I just wanted to say that I think the milestone hopping helped me get through my critical weeks with as much sanity preserved as possible. I hope you have the same luck. You should focus on the great news that your cervix is still long and closed! I'll be checking in on you and BatGirl...

1:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

P.S. You've been tagged!

12:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home