Thursday, September 14, 2006

Dispatches from my uterus

Fun uterus-related facts:

• If I had ever doubted that I really do have a right unicornuate uterus, the doubts would be gone now. All the action between my navel and my hoo-ha is happening to the right of center. Twinges, cramps, contractions, round ligament pain, is-that-the-baby flutters, all of it. I'm even starting to look slightly lopsided--only unclothed, and I'm the only one who can tell, but still. Particularly when I have a contraction, and this hard round shape pushes up on the right side of my abdomen--freaky. Also freaky: Even when ye olde ute is not contracting, I can feel its distinctive shape just under the skin on the right side--but then I can poke a finger deep into the flesh on the left and not feel a thing. I hope I don't get too uneven as I get bigger--can you imagine?

• Speaking of contractions...yep, still having them. They seem to be a little less frequent, though--i.e. instead of having 3-4 an hour all day long, I'll have a burst of them first thing in the morning, then go a few hours with maybe one or two total, then a few here and there in the afternoon, and another burst of them late at night, when I'm tired. Saturday night I actually was having 5-6 an hour for about 2 hours, and was in tears trying to get them to calm down (and get myself to calm down). I really did not want to go to L&D, which at 11 pm on a Saturday night would have been the only option available. Isn't that stupid? What if I had really been having pre-term labor? (I finally went to bed and all was well in the morning.)

The contractions seem to be varying more in size and intensity, too--I won't bore you with the details, but it's leading me to believe that now some of the "contractions" are real contractions and others are the baby poking out at me in weird ways. I have to ask my doctor about that.

Two things seem to trigger the real contractions--changing position after a long time, like if I roll over in bed; and peeing, which of course I have to do all the time because (a) I am trying to stay hydrated to ward off contractions (ironic!) and (b) I have a 17.5 week fetus sitting on my bladder. Basically, my bladder and uterus are having fun annoying each other and I get to freak out about it.

• I haven't felt the baby yet. A couple gassy bubblings here and there, but I'm pretty positive it was actually gas. At my hospital ultrasound they said I have an anterior placenta, which from what I've read can sometimes make it harder to feel the baby's movements at first, so I'm not worried--it's early still anyway. With all the ultrasounds I've had so far, I know that Bat Boy is wiggling around like a champ in there. Besides, as I've said before, at this point I'm far more concerned with keeping Bat Boy inside as long as I can than with DBTs. (Of course, someone else has said it first and said it better.)

• I need to buy maternity clothes. I'm finally starting to show in clothes and the unzipped-jeans-with-Bella-Band combo is just not comfortable anymore. Of course, I can't actually go out to go shopping, what with my activity restrictions, so will have to do it online, which at least as the advantage of preventing inadvertent exposure to pregnant normals.

• I have become a belly-rubber. I'm sorry, girls. I don't do it to be obnoxious--I'm just constantly feeling for contractions, or if I'm having a contraction timing how long it lasts. But it looks obnoxious, I know, especially since there's not that much belly to rub yet.

• OB appointment for cervix check on Tuesday. Thank goodness. The reassurance from each appointment lasts about a week, and then I spend the rest of the time ramping up the anxiety until the next one. Wish I could have them every week instead of every two weeks, but I'll take what I can get.

7 Comments:

Blogger MoMo said...

Don't worry, I am a belly rubber too!! I can't help it! I haven't felt the baby move yet and I am already 20 weeks...so don't worry-my doctor said most women feel it between 20-22 weeks! Have fun shopping for maternity clothes on line! FYI-some maternity clothes stores (ie MiMi, motherhood, Pea in a pod) have really strict return policy and for some reason that really bothered me.

11:00 PM  
Blogger Alli and Frankie said...

Belly rubbing is good! Sorry you are restricted, though, but good point about the 'pregnant normals.' LOL. I always walk through the maternity sections of stores. I can't help it. On line is a great choice though.

11:32 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

I didn't feel my little one until around 20 weeks and my placenta is on top of the uterus SO... I wouldn't bee too concerned.

2:25 PM  
Blogger May said...

Hello, I've been lurking for a while and thought I'd say hi. I'm also a PCOSer, although I'm one of the "lucky" ones who was able to conceive just on glucophage. Disasterous pregnancy followed with a happy ending who is about to turn one. I'm really pulling for you and hope you manage to avoid a lot of bedrest. I also wanted to add that I had a similar placental placement and didn't really feel my daughter move consistently until about 24 weeks. I'll be checking in on you!

12:53 PM  
Blogger Yvette A said...

Oh just wait till your bigger, I was so lopsided it was werid and when I layed down you could see it big time. My Dr would laugh because I was the most lopside UU he has seen.
here are a couple of links to my loppy belly:(copy and paste)
http://img82.imageshack.us/img82/1931/off2theside4yj.jpg
http://img82.imageshack.us/img82/5123/31w1dloppy7wi.jpg

You waited a long time to rub that belly so rub away, I did it too.

It is your miracle you have that right..

5:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just checking in, hoping the contractions are abating--I assume the cervical check went swimmingly?
Anyway, hope you are well...

12:12 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

I agree, don't worry about the belly rubbing. I do it without even realizing it now. In the beginning I didn't want to be a belly rubber either and then I caught myself doing it. I kind of feel like it's the closest I can get to touching my baby (even though the baby doesn't feel me rubbing my belly).

4:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home