Thursday, August 17, 2006

The pg side effects no one prepares you for

Like I think most pregnant-after-infertility people, I welcome pregnancy symptoms as a sign that this whole business is actually working. Nausea, cravings, sore boobs, yes, but also the weirder the better. Dizziness? Bat Boy can have all the oxygen he/she wants. Acne? Sucks, but if it means my progesterone levels are high, I'll slap on the concealer and deal. Nosebleeds? Bring 'em on.

But there are a couple of symptoms/side effects that I could probably do without. First, the hairiness. I have never been a very hairy girl, even with PCOS--I am Asian, after all. But in the last couple months my belly has sprouted a luxurious growth of hair. It's practically a pelt. Seriously, people, the hair around my navel is denser than the hair on my legs. It is not pleasant. I assume it's a byproduct of the same changes that lead to thicker hair on your head, but I have yet to experience the actual DESIRABLE effect.

Then there's the gas. Oh, the gas. Let's just say that my poor husband, who deserves a medal for continuing to share a bed with me each night, has taken to calling me the "fart factory." It is a testament either to his great love of me or (more likely) his great deprivation over the last 12 weeks that he still plaintively asks me all the time when we will be allowed to have sex again.

How come no one ever told me about this stuff before?

*****

I went all day yesterday and all day the day before with NO SPOTTING! I was so excited that when I went out to dinner with a friend last night (first time I'd gone out in AGES), I felt good enough to stroll around downtown for awhile. Nothing major--from the restaurant to a gelato shop to the subway--but I guess I must have overdone it, because this morning I was spotting again, and have had a bit of intermittent spotting this afternoon. It's nothing I haven't had before--just a little pale brown--but of course I feel horribly guilty. I calculated this morning that the "little stroll" I took actually totalled a little over a mile. Damn.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah - those damn "other" side affects are not the most fun. Your body is no longer yours while you are pregnant. It is entirely for the benefit of another and that baby uses it to it's fullest extent. I am 17 weeks along with my second and the set of side affects are completly different than with the first.

9:18 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

Yeah... don't you love he hair?? I'm with you, why couldn't it get thicker on my HEAD, not on my belly!! Oh well, I guess you do what you gotta do...

10:00 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

No kidding! The hair!!! Why doesn't anyone tell you about it. For me it's not just on my belly, it's facial hair too!!! I even had dark hair on my neck! I went to the salon crying about it and asked them to wax my entire face and neck. The woman waxing me said that the same thing happened to her when she was pregnant. Well, why doesn't anyone tell you that before?

I hope that you are feeling better. I had some spotting and as soon as it stopped I felt like it was ok to walk around a bit more, like you, and then it came back. My doctor made me promiss that I would stay on pelvic rest until she told me otherwise, but I've always been one of those people that do their own thing once they start feeling better again. I have been much better, because it's for the baby and I felt guilty too for running myself around so much.

9:17 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

Your post had me laughing out loud. I, too, have a pelt around my belly, which is just the most bizarre thing to look at since the rest of my body is almost completely hairless. During the first trimester, I also experienced the lustrous locks (and the faster growing leg hairs), but all that ended once I was in the second trimester. Alas, the pelt remains. And I swear the hairs are getting long enough that I can start braiding them together! It's disgusting.

Oh, and the farts. My god, the farts! And the belches! I am one big gas producing machine.

11:24 AM  
Blogger MoMo said...

Oh the gas...don't get me started!! I heard about the hair thing..but knock on wood, I haven't gone that road yet--but I am Asian too and I am not sure if I am completely going to bypass this symptom!

12:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home