Monday, July 31, 2006

Home now

After I wrote that last post, I went and had lunch with a coworker--probably my closest friend at work--and finally confided in her the whole story (pregnant, problems, freaking, should I tell boss, etc.). She strongly encouraged me to go ahead and tell our boss right away and not wait another week--at the very least, I could work from home for a few days and they would be sympathetic to my situation and perhaps help ease up my workload a bit. I thought about it. Hard. Almost burst into tears several times in the middle of the company cafeteria.

Came back to my desk and read your comments, which almost made me cry again. The spotting had stopped, but based on your wise advice I decided to call my doctor anyway, just to be on the safe side.

Things moved very quickly after that.

When my doctor called me back, she asked a few questions about the spotting. Then she asked about my job. I told her I could work from home if I had to. "Okay," she said, "I want you to pack up everything and go home right now, and don't come back to the office until you have had no spotting for two weeks."

!?!?!

Two weeks?!? Her logic: I am not having a miscarriage (she said this with the utmost confidence), but every time I move around a lot I get red bleeding and I freak out. If I can work from home, it is better to do so and save myself the panic. I couldn't argue with that.

So I had to tell my boss, of course--actually my boss and my several supervisors, who as it happens I was supposed to be meeting with right at that moment. I was incoherent and teary and not at all the smooth, polished professional I had hoped to be when breaking this news, but they were totally understanding (if a bit stunned) and sympathetic. Then I grabbed a bunch of files and caught a cab home.

And here I am.

20 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that you made the right decision. I am sure that you feel better being at home knowing that you are doing everything possible to keep that oh so important little one as safe as you can. think positive thoughts... those are so much more healthy that worried ones!

5:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad to hear. I hope it feels like a load off your shoulders - to be able to work from home and stay off your feet and out of the heat. And most of all, to know that you're doing all you possibly can. You did the right thing.
I don't know you in person and you don't know me at all...but please know that there is a fellow infertile friend inside the computer (and most likely in the same Big City), who lurks and checks in, and is genuinely rooting for you.

5:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG you poor thing, how scary and stressful! I am glad you have the flexibility to work from home, that sounds like a good move for you and the baby.
Please take care (I won't say 'relax' because that's probably impossible).

I'll be thinking of you!

6:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, thank goodness the spotting has stopped for now and that you're going to be able to work from home. Your midwife's advice makes perfect sense to me...I'm glad that's an option for you and that everyone was understanding.

I hope that this is just what needs to happen to get the spotting to stop for good. You've had such a journey getting here, you should be able to enjoy it instead of having scary spotting.

7:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good. Oh, so relieving to hear that you can stay out of the office a while. Hang in there.

8:04 PM  
Blogger MoMo said...

I am glad you are at home!! I think telling work was a good idea...once they know your situation--things will be less stressful for you. Please take it easy...thinking of you! Hugs!

8:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad that you are home and don't have to go in for a few weeks. Your doctor sounds great. So sorry that you have to go through this though. Hang in there.

9:53 PM  
Blogger Rachel Inbar said...

Just wanted to let you know that this happened to me when I was pregnant with my daughter (who is, at this moment, singing in the background loudly & deliberately off-key). It took a few weeks for it to stop, but it did & I was finally induced at 42 weeks.

Enjoy the quiet of being at home :-)

8:48 AM  
Blogger Robber Barren said...

Very, very relieved to hear it. Take good care of your self, and make sure Electric Guy helps you out with that. ;-)

9:21 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

I think you will feel much better being at home. Hopefully it will make things less stressful. I'm sending good vibes your way!!

11:15 AM  
Blogger Pregnant In Texas said...

YEAH!!! Just echoing the comments that I'm glad you went home. I spent sometime on bedrest and I know how frustrating it can be (see previous comment about crying every day). You're doing the right thing though.

Congratulations for taking care of yourself and your baby. I'm wishing you the best

11:30 AM  
Blogger gaelen said...

yes, take it easy. don't worry about anyone or anything but you and baby. you deserve it.

1:30 PM  
Blogger Yvette A said...

Hi

So sorry to read of your scare and trust me I know where you are coming from.

I bled when I was pg and they could not tell me why.. so I was left doing daily check to see if I bled more. It is stressfull I tell ya.

I have another blog: http://hopealive.blogspot.com/
it is about my pg with my son now the journey to him and also of the ones I lost.

I always laid on the side of where my UU is, I laid on my left alot not sure if it helped me any but it helped my mind.

I also now of other UU'ers that have had healthy pg's with scares and some even had twins beleivei it or not.

Yvette

2:14 PM  
Blogger Alli and Frankie said...

SO glad you are home and (hopefully) laying down! I'm also relieved for you that you heard back from your doctor and she was so confident and reassuring.

Hope you are feeling better, too!

12:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hang in there. I think your doctor was right to tell you to try to work from home. The less stress, the better.

12:51 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

I'm glad you have a doctor and a boss who realize how important it is to take all the proper precautions with this pregnancy. Take good care of yourself, and make sure to keep those feet propped up!

1:34 PM  
Blogger Mellie said...

I hope that you're feeling much better now and that the bleeding has stopped. Of course you were freaked out by it all!!! It sounds to me like the doctors handled it all well and are taking good care of you. Now, just keep taking good care of yourself.

3:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Electriclady, I am just back from vacation now and getting caught up. What incredibly distressing news! I am so sorry you've been going through that, and so glad you're at home now.

Hoping this bleeding stops quickly, and that the rest of this pregnancy is long, happy, healthy and uneventful. Thinking of you and sending a big comforting hug and a pillow fluffing.

8:09 AM  
Blogger Thalia said...

So glad to hear you are at home. Quite the best place for you. Now be a good girl and stay there!

5:30 PM  
Blogger Me said...

So glad you are home. I'm sorry you had to break your happy news under such shitty circumstances.

4:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home