Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Life is...ridiculous

Um, yeah. So yesterday afternoon, I started spotting again. I swore, then called the doctor's office. Dr. Awesome said that it was probably irritation from the pelvic exam I'd had--my doctor used a swab to dab at my cervix looking for blood, so I was sort of assuming that was it. (Speaking of which, I realized I don't have a nickname for my doctor...let's call her TheGoodDoc for now.) I asked her, since I'm clearly just going to be spotting all the time, should I chill out on calling unless it's something major? She said, basically, yes--call if the quantity or quality changes, i.e. if it turns red and there's a lot of it.

By the way, are you all bored with this yet? Are you sick of endless updates saying, "I'm bleeding again!"? Because I sure as hell am.

Spotting continued (a little) this morning and seems to have stopped now, but I decided to put off going back to work for another day. Just to be on the safe side. I mean, why not, right?

Although initially I resisted renting a doppler because I thought I would freak myself out if I couldn't find the heartbeat, I'm now thinking it may not be such a bad idea, especially if I'm going to be spotting all the damn time. So I have a question for you: Which one should I get? What company's doppler are you using/have you used--or do you have a better memory than me and remember this discussion on some other blog in the past and can point me there? (I remember someone posted asking about this like a year ago and got lots of good advice, but I can't remember who and I can't remember what the consensus was.)

Then I just have to convince my husband that it's a good idea and not a sign of neuroticism gone overboard...

7 Comments:

Blogger Jessica said...

I used Baby Beat (www.babybeat.com). It worked great and I got one with a read-out so I could see how fast the heart was. I would recommend this company for sure! :)

5:21 PM  
Blogger Yvette A said...

I used a BabyBeat aswell and it worked great a friend lent me hers, In the past I did rent from www.storknet.com it is like babybeat.com

Sorry to hear your still spotting.

8:16 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

The drama you've been through! You poor thing. I think the important thing is to recognize what your norm is, and just try to have faith that if it hasn't caused any major problems in the past, then it won't in the future unless something changes. That's how I tried to justify things when I was feeling a lot of pelvic pressure around 16 weeks. Freaked me out like you wouldn't believe, but nothing bad happened and it actually went away after a while. Just hope it stays that way!

Like the others, I'm currently using BabyBeat and really like it. I have the one with the read-out so that I could differentiate between the twins. It's useful, but be forewarned that it does add another layer of stress when one day the display indicates 160 bpm and the next day it drops down to 140 bpm. That happened a number of times, and was admittedly very stress inducing. Otherwise, I have not been nearly as neurotic about the doppler as I thought I'd be. Oh, and I would recommend that you don't get it for more than 3 months. Once you feel the baby kicking, the doppler's not really necessary. In fact, I think it becomes more difficult to hear the heartbeat because the noise from all that movement gets in the way.

8:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear that the spotting continues, I hope the doctor made you feel better, but I'm sure it's SO stressful even with that reassurance.

I am glad you're taking it easy, don't rush back to work too soon, okay?

:-)

3:01 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

I used www.bellybeats.com. I rented the expensive doppler, but you can get one cheaper and the only difference is it doesn't have a digital readout. I have really liked it and been really happy with my experience so far!!

3:24 PM  
Blogger MoMo said...

Oh...I am so sorry about everything that you've been going through. Hang in there. I hope it gets better and the bleeding/spotting stops.

5:42 PM  
Blogger Alli and Frankie said...

There is something to be said for peace of mind, neurotic or not!

That stinks about the spotting - I hope it stops and you don't have to worry about it for a while!!

2:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home