Friday, September 08, 2006

Back in the saddle

Yep, at Tuesday's appointment I managed to convince TheGoodDoc that I could go back to work fulltime. Initially she wanted me to do just 2 days a week in the office, but I pointed out that being at home on partial bed rest was not reducing the number of contractions at all--in fact, over the past week, the day that I had the MOST contractions was Saturday, when I spent the MOST time lying down. She was concerned that I have to walk about five blocks to get to the subway (we don't have a car and taking cabs to and from work every day would add up to $250+ a week), but I also told her that on Sunday, I cheated and walked about that distance to go out to brunch, and had no increase in contractions. Finally, I told her that after not leaving the house for almost a week, I was starting to have panic attacks. That did the trick.

(Of course, the past few days have been kicking my ass, and I'm starting to think that 2-day-a-week idea isn't such a bad thing after all. Last night I came home at 8 p.m.--took a cab home, even--and collapsed, exhausted, on the couch, where I promptly had three contractions in rapid succession. Once I calmed down, though, my uterus seemed to as well. Yes, 'tis true, "just relax" did work for something, I'm sorry to say.)

The other thing that convinced her it was OK was that my cervix remains long and closed, despite the ongoing party in my uterus. Initially, she measured it (on her crappy ultrasound machine) as 2.27 cm with funnelling, which freaked us both right the fuck out. (Quick tutorial for those without cervical issues: Average cervical length during pregnancy is between 3 and 5 cm. Anything under 2.5 cm is v. bad and, when measured between 14 and 20 weeks, is a risk factor for preterm labor. Funnelling is when the cervix begins to open up from the inside, and is v. v. bad.) So she got one of her partners, Dr. Efficient, to come in and redo the measurement to be sure. The two of them went to town with the cootercam, twisting and probing and poking most painfuly, until I longed for the masterful wandings of Dr. SF and colleagues. (Say what you might about the unpleasantness of transvaginal ultrasound, when an RE does 30-50 a day, he really knows how to slide that baby in.) Finally, they determined that I have a weird little divot or cul-de-sac or something in my uterine lining (perhaps because of my generally bizarre uterine anatomy), not far from the cervix, and that was what looked like funnelling to TheGoodDoc. When they located and measured my actual cervix, it was a comfortable 3.7 cm.

So to summarize: Back at work. Still having contractions. Trying to reduce stress. From now on I go back to the doctor every two weeks (instead of four) for cervical measurements and delightful internal exams (to see if the cervix is softening or dilating). Big anatomy scan and bonus cervical measurement at the hospital October 2.

The other big news is about my sex life. Or lack thereof. Before the contractions fun started, my husband and I had gotten into a rather tense discussion about whether or not we could/should have sex. I was still tentative after all the bleeding episodes, he was more optimistic. (Just to remind you: We have not had sex since the night of my trigger shot. Fifteen weeks ago.) So I asked TheGoodDoc about sex. She said that we could have sex, but he's not allowed to ejaculate inside me (because of the possibility that semen could bring on contractions) and I'm not allowed to orgasm. I mean really, then what's the point?!? I said as much, and she suggested helpfully, "Maybe you could do oral." Thanks. At any rate, the restrictions are in place until I reach the holy grail of 37 weeks (if I make it that far). My husband is thrilled.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe you could do oral? Yeah... that is exciting for you! I hope that you edited out that part of the conversation when telling your husband... No need to put THAT idea into his head...

1:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The sex conversation sounds a lot like mine. We haven't had sex in 23 weeks and looks like it won't happen until after the baby is born either. Do not tell your husband about the oral. I didn't. Oh and don't forget about the six weeks afterwards either. Yes the fun.

2:41 PM  
Blogger electriclady said...

Heh...unfortunately, I did tell him about the oral. :) Actually, I'd offered it up as a compromise about a month ago, when we were in the midst of all the bleeding stuff, although I told him it would have to wait until my gag reflex subsided (which of course he found SO appetizing). Since I'm pretty much back to normal nausea-wise, I'm afraid I may have to make good on my promise...

2:52 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

Hmm... my gag reflex was too much when I wasn't pregnant... so that was NOT something I offered after. Luckily this has been a pretty un-eventful pregnancy so we are allowed to do the traditional thing (oh about once every two months... :-)

3:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

See you shouldn't have made that promise. I am a bad wife, I told him don't worry when we are ready to try again then he will be sick of all the sex on demand.

3:55 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Sex has been non-existent in the Ornery household for quite some time. I notice that my husband sometimes spends an inordinate amount of time in the shower these days, but I choose to say nothing.

3:59 PM  
Blogger MsPrufrock said...

Ooo...sex. Nothing like talk of that to bring me out to comment.

I think we had sex up to about 20 weeks, and after that it was downright uncomfortable and icky. I'm sure my husband wasn't thrilled, but screw him. Or not. Ha.

P.S. Not wise on your part to mention the oral.

4:11 PM  
Blogger Pregnant In Texas said...

OMG that sounds awful! I agree, why bother if neither one of you can orgasm when or where you want to. As for the oral, well....that's up to you.

10:09 PM  
Blogger Pregnant In Texas said...

I knew I had something else to say....about internal exams. I was induced into labor and every fifteen minutes or so, a nurse would come in and cram her hand so far inside me that tears would come out my belly button. My cervix was dialating very slowly and they were having a hard time measuring it, while up to their elbow in my vagina.

There was this one, very tall, slender nurse with the longest, thin fingers. She could find that sweet spot in under thirty seconds. I started requesting her. People with long fingers shouldn't become pianists, they should become OB-GYN nurses!

10:11 PM  
Blogger MoMo said...

Oral..hmn that wouldn't be my first choice either. I hope working won't be too stressful. Please take it easy--sending you a big hug!

8:53 PM  
Blogger Me said...

Glad there wasn't really any cervical stuff going, nice freak out from the Dr though. Maybe you could do oral? Hahahahahahahahaha.

5:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi ladies, I'm a lurker who's been on various sites for 3+ years and have finally found one that I can relate to. As I sit on my couch at 14 weeks pregnant on complete bed rest, spotting with a hematoma, after 3 years of IF I couldn't imagine anyone could actually relate...guess I was wrong. Oh, and this happens to be the due date from my 2nd miscarriage so overall a rather downer of a day. I'm not too blog friendly (I'm a virgin actually) and don't know the etiquette for playing along but would love any advice in that area or how to reach anyone in a similar situation. I LOVE this blog and it's truly been keeping me going (and the lil'bean). Thank you!!!

11:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home