Monday, October 02, 2006

That's Bat Girl to you, Mister

Yes, it's true--Bat Boy was revealed, this morning, to be a girl. I am utterly, completely thrilled--I guess secretly, I really did want a girl all along. (And may I say--I've been 90% certain from the beginning that she was a girl.) As we were walking out of the hospital, my husband said, "Well, I guess from now on my job is to keep her off the pole."

All of Bat Girl's other parts seemed to be in order, at least as far as modern ultrasound technology can reveal. Truth be told, I wasn't actually terribly nervous about the anatomy scan--I've had so many ultrasounds up to this point (including the one I had at the hospital five weeks ago) that I felt like any huge problems would have shown up by now, and anything else, we would deal with. I was more stressed about whether my insurance company would approve the scan--they were giving us some hassle about it because of, again, the many ultrasounds I've already had. They did approve it in the end, but they cut it close--my appointment was at 10:15 and my OB's office called my cell literally at 10:14 with the authorization number.

And I was most concerned about how my cervix was doing. But cootercam (sigh. I will never be rid of the cootercam) showed it to be long and closed, and the tech measured it at an astonishing 4.4 cm. I have my doubts about whether it could actually have grown a full centimeter in the five weeks since my last hospital scan, but I guess that's where medicine is really an art and not a science. Considering that the baby is head down, I'd had contractions all weekend, and we'd just walked the equivalent of over a quarter of a mile from the subway to the hospital, 4.4 cm and closed is damn near a miracle, if you ask me, and I'm not going to argue with that.

So. OB appointment tomorrow; given that my cervix looks good I may ask her if I can take on a teensy, tiny bit more activity--going to Ginormous Chain Store to register, for example. I'll also ask her about the magically growing cervix.

And I can breathe a sigh of relief. For at least four or five days, anyway.

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on Bat Girl! And on the truly astonishing cervix growth, of course. I'm SO glad everything continues to go well.

2:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh a little bat GIRL, how amazing!!!

I'm glad the scan went well, and I hope you get the okay to register soon.

How fun -- enjoy :-)

4:42 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Congrats on the bat girl and the super long cervix! I hope the doctor gives you the go-ahead for more activity so that you can get your registry in order.

4:44 PM  
Blogger Rachel Inbar said...

Girls are such a pleasure :-) (at least until age 11 (evil grin).

Go cervix!

5:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations - you're having a DAUGHTER! YAY! And woo-hoo on the magically gowing cervix...mine apparently lengthened from 3.7 cm at 18-ish weeks to 4.3 cm at 20-ish weeks, and I had the same thought: who knew they GREW?

8:06 AM  
Blogger Me said...

Yay!

9:11 AM  
Blogger MoMo said...

Congratulations on Bat Girl! How exciting. I am so glad that she is doing well. I hope you get the green light to go register...now you can pick all the cute stuff!! So happy for you!!

9:28 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

YAY for Bat Girl! Congrats! I'm glad that your ultrasound went well and that she's looking good. It's also good to hear that your cervix is growing. I hope you continue to feel well.

2:03 PM  
Blogger TeamWinks said...

I'm so excited for you!!!

5:06 PM  
Blogger Mellie said...

Mazel Tov! I used to have a pair of Bat Girl underroos I adored - I wonder if they come in infant size?

So glad the anatamy scan only revealed good things. And which ginormous store are you thinking of registering at? I'm planning a trip on Monday myself to BBB.

6:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hooray hooray hooray!

What excellent news!

And my husband was just quoting Chris Rock's "Keep her off the pole" line this weekend. Ha!

10:16 PM  
Blogger electriclady said...

Mellie--I think I'm going to make a trip to BBB myself, to check out furniture, but since we have family and friends all over the country, we've determined T@rget is the best bet registry-wise. I'm basically terrified to set foot in either store. :)

11:15 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

Yeah for bat girl!! Woo Hoo!! Hope all goes well and you are given freedom to register... than you can really go crazy!!

1:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home