Odds and ends
2. Up until recently all the activity, uterinely speaking, has been on the right side of my abdomen--contractions, kicks, etc. In fact, when I lie on the table at the doctor's office, it's quite obvious that Bat Girl is entirely on the right side. Lying on my left side is only comfortable for a few minutes--even with pillows propping up my belly, it seems the strain of flopping over to the left makes my uterus contract, and we don't like that. BUT over the last few days, I've occasionally felt some punches and pokes to the left of center--mostly low in my groin when I'm lying down, but occasionally just to the left of my navel. I'm hopeful that this means my uterus is starting to expand out of its usual spot a bit.
3. Recent discussions over at Julie's and Erin's got me thinking about what we will do if and when it is time to try for #2. I know, I know, the hubris...truly, I am 100 percent focused on getting this ONE baby out and healthy, and I know so many of you would be thrilled even to have a chance at one. The thing is, we have always known we wanted more than one child, whether that be through pregnancy or adoption. So even as I am hugely grateful to be pregnant now, I do think about what it would mean to try for another, especially in light of the difficulties I've had this time around.
There's the whole idea of, could I do bedrest, even this low-key version of bedrest, if I had another child to care for. But a bigger concern is the possibility of conceiving multiples. I stressed about that during the injectibles cycle that yielded Bat Girl--heck, pretty much from the moment I was diagnosed with unicornuate uterus. But at the end of the day, my husband and I decided to risk it, and I ended up triggering with two, possibly three good-sized follicles. Now, though, I'm not so sure I would be willing to take that risk again. (That is, if, depending on how the rest of this pregnancy goes, and when Bat Girl is born, I'm willing to get pregnant again at all.) Especially considering how well my ovaries responded to Follistim the first time around, and how quickly I did get pregnant (relatively speaking), it's not unreasonable to assume that I'd have a good chance of conceiving multiples on another IUI/inj cycle.
As I've said before, if money were no object, I'd go straight to IVF with single embryo transfer. That's what I was thinking about when I read Julie's post and the comments--I would absolutely not even consider transferring more than one embryo, no matter how crappy-looking, because of my particular situation. (I do think the recommended guidelines seem sensible, but agree it should always be left up to a woman/couple and her/their doctor.) But money is an issue, of course. I don't know, I really don't know.
But that's a decision that's a couple years in the future, if it's in the cards at all. For now, we focus on baby #1.