Monday, July 20, 2009

IVF questions

Just realized I am totally unprepared for our IVF consult with Dr. SF on Friday. I know generally some of the questions I want to ask:
-Since we are doing single embryo transfer, can/should we aim for day 5 transfer rather than day 3?
-Do you normally freeze leftover embryos in straws of 2 or 3, and if so, if we have any left over, can they be frozen singly, so that we have the option of thawing one at a time?
-Can I do progesterone inserts instead of PIO? Because my husband and I are both intense needle wimps and if he has to give me an IM shot every night for two weeks we will both flip out and we might as well just call this whole thing off.

But obviously there are a lot more questions I should be asking. I'm going to Google around, but I know some of you guys did "what questions should I ask?" posts way back when. If you did, can you remind me, and tell me roughly when the post would have been, so I can find it in your archives? Thanks!

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger MsPrufrock said...

I'm my usual helpful self, as I don't remember shit about IVF technicalities. I did learn a bit as I did it, but still had to rely on a lot of people (Thalia esp) to talk me through it.

Oh, these are fun times.

6:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember I wanted to know the protocol (down-reg with Synarel), my drug dose (can't remember but higher than normal start dose for my age due to single ovary), how many eggs to expect (I got 12), and we grew to blast, transferring only one at a time. I wanted to know success rate per cycle too.

Do be prepared for the numbers to drop very quickly, from retrieval to fertilization and so on.

8:28 AM  
Blogger Wishing 4 One said...

Just wanted to wish you the best this IVF cycle. Your questions are great!

6:25 AM  
Anonymous EmilyF. said...

We did a single embryo transfer. From what I understand the pregnancy rates are highest if you can make it to Blast (day 5) transfer. Our RE always aims for blast transfer, but if you have few embryos or they aren't looking great, they do day 3. The deal is that by waiting until blast you "weed out" the weaker embryos so there is a better chance of viability. The downside is that the lab is no uterus (or I guess fallopian tube to be exact) so there is a chance that a good embryo could die before making it to transfer.

We used Progesterone inserts, Endometrin was the brand. Worked great and no big shots in the ass. I can't understand why any RE would use IMs if there's an alternative. My friend had welts on her butt for weeks.

Good luck!
Emily

6:35 PM  
Blogger MoMo said...

so sorry this is so late...lack of sleeping is killing me. Check my blog, I have a list of IVF questions from April 2006-April 13 to be exact!

Also on the meds, ask your clinic if they have samples or donations from patients who have left overs. Our clinic took donations for left over meds and gave them to people who had no insurance coverage.

will send you a seperate email about the beach...sorry for the slow response. good luck today!!

7:52 AM  
Blogger caramama said...

I hope it went well! Give an update when you can, if you want.

10:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home