Tuesday, December 05, 2006

29w2d

At today's OB appointment, my cervix was apparently so beautifully long, so firmly closed on manual exam that TheGoodDoc did not even bother to do a cootercam measurement. And she threw away the fFN culture she took before the manual exam, saying we didn't need to send it to the lab. Can you believe it?

Bat Girl is still breech, and TheGoodDoc said that while it's still early, if she doesn't flip around, there's a possibility I might have to have a C-section. (She said with the last UU patient she had, the baby was breech and had low fluid and so had to be delivered via section.) We talked about birthing classes a bit--the one I'm signed up for runs from my 35th to 37th weeks, which concerns me a little given that I may not even make it to 35 weeks, let alone 37 weeks, but she said that was fine. She told me the place I'm taking the classes (not the hospital) is "a little lefty" but that she's happy to deliver me any way I want, provided I don't need a C-section. At this point, though, I'm not particularly wedded to any idea of birth other than getting the baby out alive and healthy, and I told her as much.

The big news, at least for me, was my weight. As of my last appointment (at 27 weeks), I had only gained 12 pounds total this pregnancy. TheGoodDoc was totally unconcerned about my weight gain, but considering I started this pregnancy underweight for my height, and at my first prenatal appointment was told I could stand to gain as much as 45 pounds, I was a little concerned. I know plenty of women put on the bulk of their weight in the last trimester, but seeing as how I'm not sure how far into the third trimester I'll actually get, I really was hoping to gain a bit more quickly, for Bat Girl's sake.

I guess all the extra sesame bagels, nut butters, fruit juice, cheese, etc., I've been chowing down on worked--today I weighed in at eight pounds more than last time, for a total of 20 pounds--fairly respectable for 29 weeks. I'm not loving the sudden huge jump, but TheGoodDoc said it was okay. I'm pretty pleased, though I'd prefer not to continue gaining 4 pounds a week from here on out.

My doctor will be on vacation two weeks from now, so my next appointment is in three weeks. At which point I will be 32 weeks pregnant. Holy crap.

In other news, I had my baby shower this past weekend, which was lovely. And I bit the bullet and asked my friend to stay with me, which ended up being much better than I had feared. Lots to say about both of those things, but I'll save it for a post later this week.

3 Comments:

Blogger TeamWinks said...

I am so excited for you about this pregnancy! Can't wait to hear about the shower and your friend's visit. Glad to hear the cervix is so shut!

10:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats that you are doing SO well!

And kudos to the ole cervix, who also seems to be hanging in there remarkably well

:-)

3:04 PM  
Blogger May said...

Hey, what fantastic news! Give that cervix a high-five from me! Looking forward to the friend update.

4:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home