Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Random rant

Why is it that shorts for little girls are all SHORT, as in barely cover the diaper, while shorts for little boys can easily be found in a sensible knee length? My kid is just as active a toddler as any boy. She likes to run and climb and explore, and she frequently falls down, because one falls down when one is careening at top speed on short little legs. Maybe if we had a backyard with perfect velvety grass, this would be OK to do in short shorts, but our outside time happens in the public park, where there are giant rocks to climb and big knobby stumps to explore and big expanses of asphalt outside concrete-lined sand pits. If she were wearing any of the little cutie-pie shorts we've been given as hand-me-downs, she would have both legs scraped bloody and raw EVERY DAY. Why can't you buy cute LONG shorts designed for girls? Why do most places have, at most, one or two cropped pants for girls but a million options for roll-up cargo pants and carpenter shorts and all sorts of practical things for boys?

Hmph. Off to buy shorts in the boys' department.

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Aunt Becky said...

I had no idea. Seriously no idea.

Why would this be the case?

8:49 PM  
Blogger Antropóloga said...

Totally. Sometimes I'll pull her socks up really high (looks dorky, but since she's one I think it's okay) or put on her baby leg warmers. But it's getting too hot for that!

9:16 PM  
Blogger statia said...

You're right. I love the Mini's shorts. Almost all of them go just past his knees.

But, in all fairness, boys get totally hosed in the clothing department in all other ways. There's so much more variety out there for girls than there is for boys. I've got like, 77 of the same outfit in different colors and a a few different patterns.

9:27 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

I know that boys do get hosed in a fashion sense, but the shorts are a definite benefit. They are wonderful.

If only I could find shirts that are not blue, gray, or green; or are another color but have some annoying product endorsement or refer to the child wearing it as a "little monster".

9:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kids clothing is a weird thing. Once they hit about 4yrs of age all the cute stuff is out the window and it's all skulls, army prints and violent images. And no colours!

If you don't sew, find someone who does, it'll save your sanity.

5:26 AM  
Blogger sara said...

I agree, it's hard for my sister to find longer shorts for my 2 year old niece. But my three nephews, no problem. And my niece is way more tomboy than the boys were boys!

9:52 AM  
Blogger MoMo said...

I've always had clothes envy...since we only have 5 choices for boys...shirt, polo, pants, shorts, sweater. All the girls have the cute clothes. So I would have never guessed that you would have this problem. I think she will look totally cute in boy shorts!!!

9:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kids' clothes are a sad reflection of our culture in a lot of ways, the shorts thing being a case in point. I have always been confused as to why there aren't more gender-neutral clothing options for babies and children. Since there no secondary sex characteristics to work around or emphasize as the case may be, there is no reason why many clothes can't be gender-neutral. I have a boy and hate all the sports themes, cars and trains, monsters, camouflage, and tools and construction stuff (seriously! I almost fell down when I saw a onesie that said "auto mechanic" on it).

10:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not laughing at you, but at the fact that I complain that girls get far more options and nicer stuff than the boys do. It's tough to find clothes without sports or characters all over them. I guess both sexes have it tough in the clothing department. Who knew! :-)

11:02 AM  
Blogger Bird's Eye View Photography said...

I have seen some cute capri's for girls... maybe your hsould try those instead of shorts?

11:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home