Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Update: 32w2d

Well, the big news from today's OB appointment is that Bat Girl is still stubbornly breech (which I knew based on the continuing kicks to the groin I've been receiving). I've been scheduled for a C-section February 5 at 8:30 am. (That's 2 weeks before my due date, for anyone keeping track, and just 6 weeks from now. Yikes!) TheGoodDoc says that it's highly unlikely that the baby will flip at this point, but if she does, we can always cancel the c/s and go for a vaginal birth.

I'd been feeling pretty lousy this past week--lots more contractions and more pain with each contraction, weird painful twinges in my lower abdomen, my groin and hip muscles and joints getting all loosey-goosey (it literally feels like I've pulled both groin muscles), rectal pressure, etc.--so even though my cervix is still firmly closed, TheGoodDoc wants to see me again in another week. She's also sending me for another scan at the hospital to check the baby's growth (I'm measuring small for dates) and fluid levels.

Unfortunately, I don't get to increase my activity level like I thought I would get to at this point. Because of all the contractions (which I think may have had something to do with stress of having my parents staying with me for FOUR DAYS), I'm to maintain the same restrictions until the magical 35 week mark. Thirty-five weeks is also the point at which, TheGoodDoc says, if I go into labor they will not try to stop it. That's only three weeks away, y'all.

Strangely, I feel relieved. I'm sure once I start really thinking about the implications of a C-section I'll be terrified, but at this point it's actually nice to have a small element of certainty introduced into the mix. Yes, Bat Girl may still decide to arrive earlier than scheduled, but at least now I can make some firm plans about my maternity leave (I felt so up in the air about it, knowing that there was little chance I'd make it to my 2/18 due date but not knowing how close I'd get), my husband taking time off work, scheduling a post-partum doula, etc. I can cancel my childbirth classes and not worry that I'll give birth before I get a chance to take them. I have a target date by which to get the remaining baby supplies I need.

I just need to not focus on phrases like "low fluid" and "major abdominal surgery" and I'll be fine.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't believe you are at 32 weeks! Woohoo! I am sorry you are so uncomfortable, however. Four days of parents after bedrest, etc...you amaze me. I would need to be sedated.

8:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wooooooooo 32 weeks! That's great! Sorry about the continuing activity restrictions. As for the breech Bat-Girl...a friend of mine had a baby who was breech until about 35 weeks and then *poof* she flipped, and they had a totally successful vaginal delivery. But that's just anecdotal assvice, so feel free to ignore me.

9:48 PM  
Blogger Rachel Inbar said...

32 weeks is definitely a milestone! Congratulations - on that and on surviving a 4-day visit :-) I also had bad pain that was very low (with mine, it got so bad that I frequently could barely walk). What helped me was a very unattractive pregnancy belt (girdle?)- it made an incredible difference, probably by spreading the weight a little better.

I hope bat-girl will do a bat-trick and flip over just to surprise you :-)

3:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like you are doing great! things have really been going along (all things considered) Great for you it sounds!

The two things that you are concerned about (low fluid & c-section) are pretty minor concerns compared to everything that you have been through. You can be certain that you are going to have that baby.. and that you did an AWESOME job caring for it through out this pregnancy!

I am 36 weeks along... and nothing to complain about - but I have been lurking since you found our you were pregnant and I thought I would voice my congrats before I go on my maternity leave and cannot read you every day! BTW- found you through hamilton family circus

1:41 PM  
Blogger TeamWinks said...

Glad to hear you made it through the four day visit! I'm also excited for you that you are at 32 weeks already. (Ok, not really already, it's probably felt like forever!)

3:27 PM  
Blogger May said...

I'm doing my 32 week victory dance for you. Sorry you're so uncomfortable. Can you take tylenol? Worked wonders on my bedrest back pain.

4:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As far as the c-section goes. Don't stress it. At least yours is scheduled. Mine wasn't and I had to run around and do everything the day before x-mas and had the section on the 26th. The best advise I can give you is have help at home for the first couple of days. Having someone here the last 2 nights has been great and I am feeling much better. Also no heavy lifting for the first 2 weeks after wards. But that should be a breeze for you.

9:22 AM  
Blogger MoMo said...

Wow...I can't believe you have a date for delivery! I am so jelous! Sorry that the activity level is still restricted, but 35 weeks is only 3 weeks away...hang in there! Have a happy new year!!!

12:22 PM  
Blogger Me said...

Wow! Do remember that if you have a c-section you can still have a birth plan and have a greater chance of things happening the way you want them to eg insert catheter AFTER spinal has taken effect :)

8:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow -- congrats on reaching 33 weeks.

You and Bat Girl are doing so well!!

xoxo

And happy belated b-day!!

2:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home