Friday, October 21, 2011

Caution: Do Not Mix

It is, perhaps, not ideal for one's stress/sanity/overall health to be combining:
-1 impending IVF cycle (took the last birth control pill today!)
-1 hellish stretch at work (hopefully to calm down by early next week)
-1 gigantic emotional blow, in the form of news of the death Wednesday of my college mentor
-1 seat on the board of directors of Bat Girl's preschool and its attendant duties
-2 different weekend extracurricular activities for a 4-year-old (violin and swimming)--what was I thinking?
-1 Big City kindergarten admissions season, involving (so far) three separate aptitude tests and at least 5 school tours (AND THIS IS JUST FOR PUBLIC SCHOOL)
-and oh yeah, a husband and a child who happen to need a little attention too

Deep breaths. My friend/acupuncturist has instructed me to try to be in bed by 10 pm every night. I've succeeded once in the last week. I was actually doing pretty well on the stress-management front last week, but this week has exploded in a mess of craziness. I'm hoping things should calm down in the work department next week, so I can chill out a bit. Like I've said before, I don't believe that stress is THE answer to anyone's fertility, but I think it's plausible that the orders-of-magnitude greater levels of life stress I've had during this current round of TTC, compared to when I got pregnant with BG, could be A factor.

I'm due at the clinic bright and early Monday morning, for bloodwork and wanding to make sure I'm ready to start the Letrozole. Going to ask Dr. SF about my new fear--what happens if the Letrozole does nothing at all for me--and ask the nurse to help me puzzle out which of the many needles I got in my big bag o'drugs last night goes with which med. I'm terrified of the PIO injections so I'm also going to ask if I can use EMLA cream or something similar to help me get through them.

And speaking of the meds, here's something I'm feeling grateful for this week: Thanks to my excellent health insurance (no one appreciates really good health insurance like an infertile lady who's been laid off and struggled to find coverage, amirite Yo-yo Mama?), my entire supply of medication for this cycle, including 3 900-IU Gonal-F pens, 1 Ovidrel pre-filled syringe, 4 Ganirelix pre-filled syringes, 5 vials of Menopur, 14 Letrozole pills, 2 vials PIO, and assorted Medrol and doxycycline, cost me...$254.00. Amazing. So lucky.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Yo-yo Mama said...

While you definitely have a lot on your plate, these will be things that offer distractions when you need them.

And yes, $250 for an entire cycle's worth of meds is very impressive. I believe for one cycle of just the stims (follistim) was $1500. Maybe just $500... I don't care to remember.

8:51 PM  
Blogger Jody said...

That's an amazing meds bill. WOW.

I'm so sorry about the death of your college mentor.

Fingers crossed as you head into the heavy lifting...

10:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home