Friday, February 02, 2007

I love you, Internets

There is no way to express how grateful I am for your emails and comments on my last post. Yesterday was a much better day, in no small part because of your love and support and wisdom. I won't say "everything will be okay," because none of us knows that, but whatever happens, whatever I'm feeling, I know I'm never truly alone. And that's no small thing.

Wednesday was my last pre-natal appointment. TheGoodDoc started laughing when she walked into the exam room and saw me. "I just can't believe you're still here!" she said. She was so clearly delighted that I couldn't help laughing, too. I told her I had a sense that I was getting close to labor--the baby is so low that I constantly feel her butt wedged between my legs, and my contractions, 10-15 minutes apart as usual, are fairly painful and hard enough that I can feel the baby bearing down during them. (I can't believe I forgot to mention the contractions in my litany of woes the other day--the mental and physical strain, not to mention every piece of scrap paper in the house being covered with "1:23, 55 secs / 1:32, 43 secs / 1:41, 59 secs / 1:56, 1 min 4 secs" notations.)

Despite the hard contractions, I'm still only about 1 cm dilated--I must have a cervix of steel. But Bat Girl is so low that TheGoodDoc could feel her FOOT pushing down (she said "through the membranes," which in retrospect I don't quite understand...did she actually stick her finger all the way up into my cervix to the membranes, or did she just feel it when she palpated the cervix?). So she'd like me to (surprise, surprise) take it easy until Monday. "If you do go into labor, everything will be fine, but it would be better if we can do the section on Monday like we planned instead of you having to call in the middle of the night with your water broken and the baby's foot hanging out of you," she said. I know that sounds kind of weird, like she just didn't want her weekend ruined, but I know that's not what she meant. Frankly, I'd prefer a leisurely approach to surgery myself, rather than a midnight race to the hospital and worry about prolapsed cord etc.

So, the next few days will be about wrapping things up and trying to prepare ourselves, as much as we can. Today is officially my last day of work before maternity leave, though truth be told my brain has been far away for weeks. I was going to go into the office one last time to wrap things up, but my doctor vetoed that idea on the grounds of the aforementioned not wanting to have my water break and baby's leg hanging out. I did get to go in once last week and once the week before, to check in with everyone and meet with the person they've hired to cover for me when I'm on leave, and they threw me a little shower, which was nice. A messenger just came to pick up all my files and paperwork, and I'll spend the rest of the day sending final emails and winding everything down.

I also have to make one quick trip to the hospital to have pre-admission bloodwork done. In light of the dilating, foot, etc., TheGoodDoc was considering having my bloodwork appointment moved up sooner, just in case, but she decided to leave it at today. And then I'll come home and finish folding and refolding all the tiny little t-shirts, and re-examining all the scary parts of my breast pump, and watching plenty of trashy TV.

And then the next time I leave my apartment, I'll be (most likely) coming home with a baby. How about that?


Blogger MoMo said... sound so much better today! So glad that everything is going well...take it easy..Monday will be a big day. Enjoy it, it is such a wonderful experience! Sending you a big hug and I will be thinking of you all weekend!

10:30 AM  
Anonymous Meira (comments AT voirdire DOT org) said...

Wow. So if you could reach your parts, you could feel your daughter's foot, too. Wild that she could be sooo close, and yet still about 3 days away. I'm gonna cry!

10:40 AM  
Anonymous Kath said...

Dear Electriclady, it's so good to hear you sounding better. And I'm so utterly thrilled that you're so close! Sending you calming vibes throughout the weekend (no sticking your foot out, kiddo, you hear?) and then all my very best wishes for a smooth, painless and glorious birth on Monday. Almost there, my dear!

10:44 AM  
Blogger TeamWinks said...

Wow! We will all be waiting (trying to be patient) to hear about your new arrival!

10:53 AM  
Blogger May said...

Oh, man! The suspense! Good luck on Monday! I hope you have a calm and relaxing weekend and a smooth delivery. We'll all be hunkered down here in the computer, fingers crossed, waiting until you get back.

3:58 PM  
Blogger MsPrufrock said...

Tomorrow is the day, I can't believe it! That is, assuming BatGirl didn't decide to stick an foot/leg/arm/head out before that stage.

I cannot wait to hear about her arrival.

Very best of luck to you.

6:07 PM  
Blogger K77 said...

It's Tuesday morning here, so BatGirl must have arrived. Hoping all went well and continues to do so!

2:28 PM  
Blogger MoMo said...

City girl...just want to say I am (was)thinking of you today. I hope everything went well. Can't wait to meet Bat Girl!

6:32 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home